RE: [Slovak-World] Television 50 years ago today

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
      Tony:

      Where did you come up with the 20 year old program listing?
      Tina Turnerova is one of my favorites too.

      International Channel now carries Polish and Russian
      programs every day and Hungarian and Romanian programs once
      a week. Still nothing from Slovakia but the Hungarian news
      mentions events from Slovakia from time to time.

      Greg Kopchak

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
        Greg

        I got those from a yellowing copy of Rozhlas sent to me by a fellow
        shortwave radio enthusiast in Plzen back in 1982. He never did receive the
        copy of TV Guide that I sent him.

        Rozhlas was published in Czech and was primarily covered programming from
        Prague. A separate journal was available in Slovak with detailed TV and
        Radio listings from Bratislava and the rest of the republic. He also sent a
        copy of that, which I cannot put my hands on .. its around here somewhere.

        One of the highlights of the late afternoon Friday afternoon schedule is an
        ever popular americky televizni serial -- Denis, postrach okali. Unless I
        am wide of the mark and my memory has faded, that's Dennis the Menace to
        you and me!

        On the radio side, tune in at 4PM on Sunday for Rytmus -- Pohledy do sveta
        popularni hudby. I'm sure you'll hear some Tina Turnerova during this
        stereofonni vysilani! I have a tape of one show here that features some Rod
        Stewart mixed in with home grown stars.

        Tony P

      • krejc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
          Greg,
          do you have the schedule of Polish and Russian programming on International
          Channel? I have never been able to pin it down.
          many thanks.
          Noreen
          ps. my granddaughter took Zuska home with her the other day and i will be
          curious to know how she liked it. the opening phrase "School was out" caught
          her attention in Chapter One.

        • krejc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
            Hi Tony,
            would someone who knew absolutely nothing about short wave radio (me), be
            able to purchase a set up that was not too expensive, learn how to use it, and
            pull in stations from Slovakia?
            Noreen

          • agp@telerama.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
              Noreen

              Absolutely! Shortwave radios can be had for as little as US$45. To make
              tuning easy and precise, get one that has a digital display, just like your
              car radio. All you have to do then is just tap in the frequency, and hit
              the button that tune sit, and you will be set.

              Be aware that most of the times given for broadcasts are given in UTC,
              which is, for example, 4 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time, or 5 hours
              ahead of Eastern Standard Time. (UTC doesn't change). Radio Slovakia
              broadcasts to us every evening for 1/2 hour in English at 9PM EDT on on
              5930 khz and 9440 khz. This is followed by 1/2 hours in Slovak, French and
              Spanish.

              Radio Prague's schedule is similar.

              There is also a great wealth of other programming available. For example,
              Roman Catholics might be interested in being able to listen to WEWN from
              Birmingham Alabama, which is a radio service of Mother Angelica's EWTN TV
              network.

              Tony P
            • krejc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                Martin and Tony,
                Thanks for the information. I am definately getting serious about a
                shortwave radio since they can start at $45. the digital sounds good.
                I may also have to learn how to do the internet with regards to pulling in
                music and broadcasting from foreign countries.
                thanks again. wow, is the world ever getting smaller.
                Noreen