Re: [Slovak-World] Television 50 years ago today

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
      Well its not 50 years ago, and its not even this week, but here's what was
      on across Czechoslovakia on the 1st programme on Saturday the 24th of April
      1982.

      5 PM Ms V Lednim Hokeji (Primy prenos utkani Kanada - SSSR)
      7.30 Televizni noviny
      8 Kreslo Pro Hosta - O sve praci zivotnich prozitcich vypravi akademik
      Bohumir Rosicky
      8.30 Muz s dlouhou ruko - Pridbeh z anglicheho televizniho serialu
      Professionalove.
      9.20 Branky, body, sekundy
      9.35 Silvestr 1981 - anb Co bylo i nebylo v Silvestrovskem balu
      10.35 Nevesta k Zulibani - Cesky film
      11.55 Tina Turnerova v Lucerna - Zaznam prvni casti koncertu americke
      solove zpevacky
      12.25 Zpravy

      I don't know about you, but I'll be staying up to watch Tina Turnerova!

      Tony P
    • Gregory J Kopchak
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
        Tony:

        Where did you come up with the 20 year old program listing?
        Tina Turnerova is one of my favorites too.

        International Channel now carries Polish and Russian
        programs every day and Hungarian and Romanian programs once
        a week. Still nothing from Slovakia but the Hungarian news
        mentions events from Slovakia from time to time.

        Greg Kopchak

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • agp@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
          Greg

          I got those from a yellowing copy of Rozhlas sent to me by a fellow
          shortwave radio enthusiast in Plzen back in 1982. He never did receive the
          copy of TV Guide that I sent him.

          Rozhlas was published in Czech and was primarily covered programming from
          Prague. A separate journal was available in Slovak with detailed TV and
          Radio listings from Bratislava and the rest of the republic. He also sent a
          copy of that, which I cannot put my hands on .. its around here somewhere.

          One of the highlights of the late afternoon Friday afternoon schedule is an
          ever popular americky televizni serial -- Denis, postrach okali. Unless I
          am wide of the mark and my memory has faded, that's Dennis the Menace to
          you and me!

          On the radio side, tune in at 4PM on Sunday for Rytmus -- Pohledy do sveta
          popularni hudby. I'm sure you'll hear some Tina Turnerova during this
          stereofonni vysilani! I have a tape of one show here that features some Rod
          Stewart mixed in with home grown stars.

          Tony P

          At 01:01 03/10/2004, Greg wrote:
          >Tony:
          >
          >Where did you come up with the 20 year old program listing?
          >Tina Turnerova is one of my favorites too.
        • David
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
            Oh man! Does that mean that I won't get the answer to a (non Slovak)
            question that I am sending to my Slovak brothers and sisters? Being 100%
            Slovak and asking other Slovaks seems to fall in the realm of Slovakinism.
            Wow is me...Dave

          • krejc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
              Greg,
              do you have the schedule of Polish and Russian programming on International
              Channel? I have never been able to pin it down.
              many thanks.
              Noreen
              ps. my granddaughter took Zuska home with her the other day and i will be
              curious to know how she liked it. the opening phrase "School was out" caught
              her attention in Chapter One.

            • krejc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                Hi Tony,
                would someone who knew absolutely nothing about short wave radio (me), be
                able to purchase a set up that was not too expensive, learn how to use it, and
                pull in stations from Slovakia?
                Noreen

              • agp@telerama.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                  Noreen

                  Absolutely! Shortwave radios can be had for as little as US$45. To make
                  tuning easy and precise, get one that has a digital display, just like your
                  car radio. All you have to do then is just tap in the frequency, and hit
                  the button that tune sit, and you will be set.

                  Be aware that most of the times given for broadcasts are given in UTC,
                  which is, for example, 4 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time, or 5 hours
                  ahead of Eastern Standard Time. (UTC doesn't change). Radio Slovakia
                  broadcasts to us every evening for 1/2 hour in English at 9PM EDT on on
                  5930 khz and 9440 khz. This is followed by 1/2 hours in Slovak, French and
                  Spanish.

                  Radio Prague's schedule is similar.

                  There is also a great wealth of other programming available. For example,
                  Roman Catholics might be interested in being able to listen to WEWN from
                  Birmingham Alabama, which is a radio service of Mother Angelica's EWTN TV
                  network.

                  Tony P
                • krejc@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                    Martin and Tony,
                    Thanks for the information. I am definately getting serious about a
                    shortwave radio since they can start at $45. the digital sounds good.
                    I may also have to learn how to do the internet with regards to pulling in
                    music and broadcasting from foreign countries.
                    thanks again. wow, is the world ever getting smaller.
                    Noreen