Re: [Slovak-World] Help needed.

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
      Dave

      I can't give you a complete translation, but Hello is something like Nee
      who-wah, with the who-ah bit spoken very quickly. Nee goes up in tone and
      who dips and wah is flat. Either that or its Stir Fried Squid. No --
      seriously, check out the languages section at Yahoo:

      http://dir.yahoo.com/Social_Science/Linguistics_and_Human_Languages/Languages/Specific_Languages/Chinese/

      I knew listening to Radio Peking on Shortwave during the early 70s would
      pay off someday!

      Tony P
    • David
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
        Maybe it's not Slovak, but it is this here pure Slovak, that needs the
        help. So that's 50%, no matter which way you cut the cake.
        As you know, or might not know, I am the president and mine tour guide of
        the No.9 Mine and Museum in Lansford, PA This is an Anthracite mine.
        Today we had a group of Chinese tourists, that made reservations for a bus
        load of tourists from, The Presbyterian Church of New York City. The van
        had Chinese writing on the sides of the van. Most didn't understand
        English. I will need one of their group as a interpreter, as we tour the mine.
        OK! This is where I need the help. I know a lot of you guys are very
        talented people. Probably Yanko (Yano) would have the answer. I don't
        really know if he is still with us. (undercover)
        How do you say in Chinese......Hello, welcome to the No. 9 Mine. Of course
        I need this in phonetic English. Any help would be appreciated. I know
        without hearing it, I will probably butcher the Chinese language...but am
        willing to give it a shot. I will have to fake in the high/low pitches of
        the various syllables.
        Being ever humble....Dave
      • floriansimala
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
          Dave;

          For a non-Chinese speaker Tony got the Chinese Mandarin greeting
          of "How are you?" very close. The Wade-Giles and pinyin romanization
          for that is "Ni Hao?", with a rising tone on the "Ni" and a low tone
          (starts neutral, dips low and rises to where it started) on "Hao".
          Sometimes "ah" is added as "Ni Hao Ah" for rhythym or sound with no
          added meaning. Alternatively, "Nin Hao?" is the singular polite
          variation with "Nin", the polite version of "Ni" for "you",
          substituted.

          "Huan ying dao mei kuang jiu hao" is "welcome to coal mine number
          nine". I think this pinyin rendition is close to the phonetic
          pronuciation except for the lack of tones and the "jiu" which would
          be "joe" phonetically.

          Sorry I can't be write more clearly on the pronunciation as I've
          gotten used to various Chinese Language romanizations and sounds over
          the years and don't think in terms of phonetic pronunication
          anymore. Don't worry if the Chinese don't seem to understand at
          first because they don't expect to hear Chinese coming from
          a "foreign" face and won't be "listening" for it coming from you.
          Say it again, and some will catch on and repeat what you've said.
          Then you'll be able to hear the proper tones. :-)

          Mandarin is the national and offical language of China, Taiwan and
          the one of the several official languages used in Singapore.
          Additionally, most overseas Chinese regardless of their origin and
          local dialect spoken at home, now speak Mandarin Chinese.

          Good luck,

          Florian

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, David <humblebe@i...> wrote:
          > Maybe it's not Slovak, but it is this here pure Slovak, that needs
          the
          > help. So that's 50%, no matter which way you cut the cake.
          > As you know, or might not know, I am the president and mine tour
          guide of
          > the No.9 Mine and Museum in Lansford, PA This is an Anthracite mine.
          > Today we had a group of Chinese tourists, that made reservations
          for a bus
          > load of tourists from, The Presbyterian Church of New York City.
          The van
          > had Chinese writing on the sides of the van. Most didn't understand
          > English. I will need one of their group as a interpreter, as we
          tour the mine.
          > OK! This is where I need the help. I know a lot of you guys are
          very
          > talented people. Probably Yanko (Yano) would have the answer. I
          don't
          > really know if he is still with us. (undercover)
          > How do you say in Chinese......Hello, welcome to the No. 9 Mine. Of
          course
          > I need this in phonetic English. Any help would be appreciated. I
          know
          > without hearing it, I will probably butcher the Chinese
          language...but am
          > willing to give it a shot. I will have to fake in the high/low
          pitches of
          > the various syllables.
          > Being ever humble....Dave
        • David
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
            Big thank you goes to Florian and Tony. It goes to show you that the
            members on Slovak World are very talented with many special attributes. I'm
            going to give this greeting down in the mine. I'm going to practice on
            saying the greeting in Chinese. But, knowing me, I know I will probably
            butcher it to no end. The Chinese/Chinese Americans will be either puzzled,
            amused, or will have one hell of a laugh. A friendly laugh...I hope!. It
            could be the beginning of the third world war....Right now, I'm smiling
            from ear to ear. To think we did have some members who would have the
            answer. This goes to show you, that if you have any questions about
            anything...just ask our Slovak World brothers and sister.
            Humbly Yours,
            Dave Kuchta

          • floriansimala
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
              Dave;

              In the message below I overlooked a general greeting that you can use
              with a group of Chinese, which is "ge wei hao" (geh way how - roughly
              phonetically <ggg>; a falling tone for the first two words and a low
              or dipping tone for the third). This means something like "Hello
              everyone".

              Regards,

              Florian

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "floriansimala" <75430.543@e...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > The van
              > > had Chinese writing on the sides of the van. Most didn't
              understand
              > > English. I will need one of their group as a interpreter, as we
              > tour the mine.
              > > OK! This is where I need the help. I know a lot of you guys are
              > very
              > > talented people. Probably Yanko (Yano) would have the answer. I
              > don't
              > > really know if he is still with us. (undercover)
              > > How do you say in Chinese......Hello, welcome to the No. 9 Mine.
              Of
              > course
              > > I need this in phonetic English. Any help would be appreciated. I
              > know
              > > without hearing it, I will probably butcher the Chinese
              > language...but am
              > > willing to give it a shot. I will have to fake in the high/low
            • kmz
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
                HI, I just have to but in. Had a young friend taking a college class in Chinese and
                called on in class to read from his homework. He got the intonation wrong and said
                some pretty un-feminine things to the teacher. So a word of caution when trying to speak
                what you never heard.

                Katherine

                wrote:

> [...]
                > The van
                > > had Chinese writing on the sides of the van. Most didn't
                understand
                > > English. I will need one of their group as a interpreter, as we
                > tour the mine.
                > > OK! This is where I need the help. I know a lot of you guys are
                > very
                > > talented people. Probably Yanko (Yano) would have the answer. I
                > don't
                > > really know if he is still with us. (undercover)
                > > How do you say in Chinese......Hello, welcome to the No. 9 Mine.
                Of
                > course
                > > I need this in phonetic English. Any help would be appreciated. I
                > know
                > > without hearing it, I will probably butcher the Chinese
                > language...but am
                > > willing to give it a shot. I will have to fake in the high/low

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Dr. Joe Q
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Nee how (with just a hint of an "r" sound after the
                  "how") or "hubba how" means "How are you", the
                  response is usually "Ding How", however, a varoius
                  grades of "How (=good)" exist from Ding How, to Hng
                  How (meaning OK) to Hung Why (which means something
                  like "very bad").

                  I have to check a couple of of my notes, but I think I
                  can give you a reasonably understandable couple of
                  phrases for "Welcome to the coal mine."

                  She She Nee.

                  Dr. "Q"

                  --- agp@... wrote:

                  > Dave
                  >
                  > I can't give you a complete translation, but Hello
                  > is something like Nee
                  > who-wah, with the who-ah bit spoken very quickly.
                  > Nee goes up in tone and
                  > who dips and wah is flat. Either that or its Stir
                  > Fried Squid. No --
                  > seriously, check out the languages section at Yahoo:

                  http://dir.yahoo.com/Social_Science/Linguistics_and_Human_Languages/Languages/Specific_Languages/Chinese/

                  > I knew listening to Radio Peking on Shortwave during
                  > the early 70s would
                  > pay off someday!
                  >
                  > Tony P

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • David
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 4, 2004
                    Hi: I like that one. That is more my style.
                    Big Thank you.
                    Miner Dave

                  • 75430.543@escapees.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                      That's very possible, Katherine. For instance, using the wrong tones when
                      counting from one to ten in the Cantonese Chinese dialect can result in a couple
                      of four-letter or other semi-taboo words. In fact, the Chinese sometimes
                      play on this themselves when choosing license plate numbers. :-) In past years,
                      the number "four" was not often seen on the license plates of cars in some
                      Chinese regions, Hong Kong especially; that is, other than on cars owned by
                      "foreigners". Chinese have an aversion to the number "four" as many Westerners
                      have with the number "thirteen". "Four" in Chinese is close to the word for
                      "death" with only a tonal difference.

                      I think Dave will be safe using the few phrases suggested. Even if the tones
                      are not correct, the listeners MIGHT pick up the meaning from the context of
                      the situation. Tones to Chinese are part of a word's (character)
                      pronunciation. So, using the wrong tone with a particular sound changes the word.

                      Regards,

                      Florian

                    • 75430.543@escapees.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                        Dr. Q;

                        It appears that you have had some firsthand experience living (or serving) in
                        China or Taiwan judging from the phrases below. <gg>

                        "Nee How" is "Ni Hao" (pinyin or Wade-Giles Romanization) which is "How are
                        you?", or "Hello?"

                        "Hubba how" is "hao bu hao" in pinyin, which is an informal greeting for "How
                        are you?"

                        "Ding How" or "ding hao" (pinyin) means "excellent". Apparently, this was
                        more commonly used in years past on the China Mainland. This is often heard in
                        the Chinese dialogue in old Flying Tigers movies. It's still used to a lesser
                        extent on Taiwan, however.

                        "Hng How" is probably "hen hao" (pinyin), which means "very good".

                        "Hung Why" is "hen huai" (pinyin and Wade-Giles), which means "very bad".

                        "She She Nee" is "xie xie ni" (pinyin) and "hsieh hsieh" (Wade-Giles), both
                        of which probably make less sense to a native English speaker who hasn't
                        studied the romanizations than "She She Nee". This means "thank you".

                        I may have typed the pinyin Romanization above incorrectly as I didn't use it
                        much having initially used the Yale and Wade-Giles systems.

                        What's your background with Chinese, Dr. Q? I'd guess you served in a
                        Chinese-speaking area in the military. I did a USAF tour on Taiwan in the
                        mid-1960s, based outside of Taipei.

                        Regards,

                        Florian

                        In a message dated 04-10-04 11:28:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        doctor_jq@... writes:

                        > Nee how (with just a hint of an "r" sound after the
                        > "how") or "hubba how" means "How are you", the
                        > response is usually "Ding How", however, a varoius
                        > grades of "How (=good)" exist from Ding How, to Hng
                        > How (meaning OK) to Hung Why (which means something
                        > like "very bad").
                        >
                        > I have to check a couple of of my notes, but I think I
                        > can give you a reasonably understandable couple of
                        > phrases for "Welcome to the coal mine."
                        >
                        > She She Nee.
                        >
                        > Dr. "Q"

                      • David
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                          Oh boy! This is more then I could ask for. I'm sure the group will be more
                          then pleased with my attempt at Chinese. Just like when I visited Slovakia,
                          my Slovak was smiled upon, regardless of how bad it was.
                          Dave

                          At 08:28 PM 10/4/2004 -0700, you wrote:

                          >Nee how (with just a hint of an "r" sound after the
                          >"how") or "hubba how" means "How are you", the
                          >response is usually "Ding How", however, a varoius
                          >grades of "How (=good)" exist from Ding How, to Hng
                          >How (meaning OK) to Hung Why (which means something
                          >like "very bad").
                          >
                          >I have to check a couple of of my notes, but I think I
                          >can give you a reasonably understandable couple of
                          >phrases for "Welcome to the coal mine."
                          >
                          >She She Nee.
                          >
                          >Dr. "Q"
                          >

                          >--- agp@... wrote:
                          >
                          > > Dave
                          > >
                          > > I can't give you a complete translation, but Hello
                          > > is something like Nee
                          > > who-wah, with the who-ah bit spoken very quickly.
                          > > Nee goes up in tone and
                          > > who dips and wah is flat. Either that or its Stir
                          > > Fried Squid. No --
                          > > seriously, check out the languages section at Yahoo:
                          > >

                          >http://dir.yahoo.com/Social_Science/Linguistics_and_Human_Languages/Languages/Specific_Languages/Chinese/
                          > >
                          > > I knew listening to Radio Peking on Shortwave during
                          > > the early 70s would
                          > > pay off someday!
                          > >
                          > > Tony P

                        • Dr. Joe Q
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                            Dear Dave,

                            Here it is:

                            NEE HAO (hello)

                            HUAN YING (welcome)

                            NEE DAO JEW (to number 9)

                            HAO KUANG JEAN (coal mine)

                            Here are a couple of other words:

                            TSI TSEE YEN (good bye)

                            SHE SHE NEE (thank you)

                            Chinese has a sing song rythm and lilt, however, the
                            above will be understandable as written.

                            Good luck.

                            Dr. "Q"

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                              I never let the language get in the way fo where I
                              lived or visited. We lived in Japan for 4 years
                              (1971-1975)and traveled to Hong Kong, Thailand,
                              Taiwan, Laos, Neepal, Phillipines, Korea, etc. I'll
                              give any language a shot.

                              The pinyin for what I sent a few minutes ago is:

                              Ni hao, huan ying ni dao jiu hao kuang
                              jin:

                              Hello, welcome coming to number 9 coal mine.

                              I also speak broken Japanese and broken French! And
                              off course everyone on this list knows the universal
                              language of science -- broken English.

                              Dr. "Q"

                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                                Dr. "Q": I think I will write that on the palm of my hand. This way with
                                holding both hands up a little for emphasis, I will be able to read it off.

                              • 75430.543@escapees.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                                  Dr. Q;

                                  That's always a good attitude to take when living or traveling abroad.

                                  Best,

                                  Florian

                                  In a message dated 05-10-04 3:06:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  doctor_jq@... writes:

                                  > I never let the language get in the way fo where I
                                  > lived or visited.

                                • amiak27
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                                    Miner Dave,

                                    Writing it on the palm of your hand is a great idea. As an honest
                                    miner, you know how important good, solid cribbing is to a safe mine!

                                    Ron

                                  • sandman6294
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:

                                      > Miner Dave,
                                      >
                                      > Writing it on the palm of your hand is a great idea. As an honest
                                      > miner, you know how important good, solid cribbing is to a safe
                                      mine!

                                      > Ron

                                      That one got me to beaming.

                                      RU
                                    • Dr. Joe Q
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 5, 2004
                                        Dear Humble Dave,

                                        Practice it a few times. I am sure you can learn it
                                        by heart in about 30 minutes. Don't think of it as a
                                        speech. Come up with a few ryhmes assosciated with
                                        anything you see regularly:

                                        NEE HOW - Knee High by the 4th of July but I don't
                                        know HOW high a knee is (that's where the corn should
                                        be at that time of the year)

                                        HUANG YING - HANG it IN (it's just word association
                                        how about come on in?)

                                        NEE DAO JEW - That "knee" high thing about the 4th of
                                        July; "OWH!" I hurt my "SHOE" (when I kicked the knee
                                        high corn - it doesn't make any sense but you'll
                                        probably remember it)

                                        HAO KUANG JEAN - WOW! King KONG GIN (what else would
                                        you drink in a deep coal mine?).

                                        Or put something else together.

                                        You'll do just fine and "WOW - (DAO)" the socks off
                                        the visitors.

                                        We have to make a trip to Eastern Penna to visit you
                                        sometime.

                                        Dr. "Q"

                                        http://vote.yahoo.com
                                      • David
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 6, 2004
                                          Big thanks! The mine tours are on Sat. and Sun, to the end of Oct. Then
                                          from the first Sat in Nov. we do work in the mine every Sat. getting it
                                          in shape for the following tourist season which begins in May of 2005. Mud,
                                          dirt, rock and timbers, mixed with a little water. Oh how I love the work!
                                          Miner Dave

                                        • gergely
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 27, 2004
                                            Below is a nice website that an in-law of mine in Slovakia sent. Her
                                            husband apparently makes really detailed miniatures of Slovak homes,
                                            churches and Nativity scenes. Sizes, prices and very detailed photos are on
                                            the web site as well as contact information. They're fairly expensive, but
                                            extremely detailed, including interior appointments. Keep clicking on the
                                            photos of the miniatures, and eventually the detail will show.

                                            Jack Gergely

                                            PS: My husband offers hand-made maquetts of typical Slovak builings (his own
                                            work) at http://www.drevenice.szm.sk/

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 18, 2006
                                              Dear friends,

                                              As usual, I need a bit of help. I received an Easter card from my cousin
                                              which also included a note. We didn't hear from him at Christmas time and the
                                              explanation was in the letter. Last Palm Sunday he was carted off to the
                                              hospital with a "heart Infarkt"and spent about 6 months in hospitals in Kyjova,
                                              Brno, Hodonin and Uherske Hardis^te, with the rest of the sentence reading
                                              "kde jsem byl pak vr^ijnu operovan a byl me^ odebran z^luc^nik." I don't
                                              quite get all of it but the gist seems to be that they removed his gall bladder.
                                              Can anybody clear up the rest of this especially "vr^jinu" which is a new
                                              one on me?

                                              The next sentence said that the operation developed some complications.
                                              Right after that the next sentence reads: "Bylanarus^ena cevka ados^lo ke
                                              krvaceni do dutiny br^is^ni." Man, I don't get this one at all. First of all, the
                                              first long word looks as if it should have been 2 words as "byla narun^ena"
                                              but either way I don't get it. I think "cevka" means "a little vessel" but
                                              what vessel? "ados^lo" probably should be "a dos^lo", I think. "krvaceni" I
                                              think means something like "bloody" but I haven't the faintest idea what
                                              "dutiny br^is^ni" means. I'm not even sure if the last word is br^is^n" or if
                                              the word begins with an "o" or a "b" as it is really unclear even though this
                                              note is typewritten and the "i" is inserted in pen. The whole darned
                                              sentence doesn't make sense to me. It continues that they let him out of the
                                              hospital on December 29 and he is recuperating there for the last 3 months.

                                              The next sentence again is a puzzler. He says that he is feeling pretty
                                              good but "doplatila no do pater^ a kloubi". Pater is spine and I think kloubi
                                              is joints but I really don't get the gist of the sentence.

                                              Next one again is puzzling. It says, "S^patne chodim musim i po dome
                                              pouz^ivat francoske hole." I take that to say "It is difficult walking and around
                                              the home I must use....what is "francoske hole"? I presume it is some kind
                                              of walking aid like a 4 pronged walker. Could this be correct?

                                              He then speaks of his wife who is also having her difficulties. A sentence
                                              about her reads, "Tech 81 roku ktere letos dovrs^i se na ni podepsalo." I
                                              don't get the meaning of this one at all. Could this be that the 81 years of
                                              her life are beginning to weigh her down?

                                              The rest of it I have though it might seem to you as if I don't get the
                                              whole thing. I'm more used to Slovak and this is obviously Czech though Moravian
                                              Czech with a lot of Slovak thrown in and it's pretty easy to grasp.

                                              I appreciate any help. I know it's a lot but I'd like to answer this with
                                              the knowledge in me of what it said. Thank you all for any help.

                                              Pavel

                                            • Jan Vislocky
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 18, 2006
                                                v rijnu operovan - had surgery in October
                                                Removed gall bladder is right
                                                Byla narusena cievka - vain was broken
                                                Krvaceni do brusni dutiny - bleeding to abdominal area
                                                francouske hole is something like cain
                                                Rest of this you are right

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                              • Taoz@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 19, 2006
                                                  In a message dated 4/18/2006 10:01:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                                  mjvisl@... writes:

                                                  The next sentence again is a puzzler. He says that
                                                  > he is feeling pretty
                                                  > good but "doplatila no do pater^ a kloubi". Pater
                                                  > is spine and I think kloubi
                                                  > is joints but I really don't get the gist of the
                                                  > sentence.

                                                  I requested help in some translations and got everything straightened out
                                                  except the above which I still do not understand. I thank the translator very
                                                  much and request that the above phrase be made understandable.

                                                  Again thank you very much.

                                                  Pavel

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 19, 2006
                                                    "doplatila no do pater^ a kloubi" = My spine and joints are the worse off for it (i.e. it's affected my spine and joints).

                                                    Helen

                                                    >>> Taoz@... 04/19/06 2:30 PM >>>

                                                    mjvisl@... writes:

                                                    The next sentence again is a puzzler. He says that
                                                    > he is feeling pretty
                                                    > good but "doplatila no do pater^ a kloubi". Pater
                                                    > is spine and I think kloubi
                                                    > is joints but I really don't get the gist of the
                                                    > sentence.

                                                    I requested help in some translations and got everything straightened out
                                                    except the above which I still do not understand. I thank the translator very
                                                    much and request that the above phrase be made understandable.

                                                    Again thank you very much.

                                                    Pavel

                                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                                  • Taoz@aol.com
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 19, 2006
                                                      Helen,

                                                      Dakujem, dakujem. Now I have the whole thing in my mind and I can answer
                                                      the letter in due course.

                                                      Pavel