Nursery rhyme

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2004
      Caye,

      There is the family story my mother told on herself about when we
      were infants. My father was singing a risqué nursery rhyme to one of
      the babies along the lines 'your father was a drunkard and your
      mother was a streetwalker'. As she was admonishing him to not sing
      such terrible things to a baby her visiting mother walked in and
      said "Oh! How wonderful! I haven't heard that song since I left
      Slovakia."

      So my bad Slovak influences started in the cradle.

      Ron
      Any other stories like that out there?

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
      wrote:

      > That chrúst [maybug] thing got me to thinking . . .
      > what other words do I remember from my youth . . . the
      > thing that came up was a nursery rhyme about a hunter
      > going into the forest to hunt rabbits . . . also
      > taught counting . . . the phrase I remember best is
      > "peek, pock, joychick moi" or "bing, bang, the rabbit
      > died" (again, phonetically spelled). To make a point
      > here, mom always credited my grandfather with the
      > nursery rhyme -- he was from Kiev -- but when I began
      > entering words like rabbit and hunter and forest (not
      > to mention one, two, three, four, five) into the
      > dictionary -- I realized it was SLOVAK -- probably
      > gram's nursery rhyme and not gramps -- although if you
      > hear it a few times, you could probably recite it, not
      > difficult, but definitely slovak, guess he probably
      > recited it to mom as well as gram.
      >
      > Caye

    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
        Here's a Russian version of that rhyme about the rabbit, transcribed
        into the Latin alphabet (the letter "w" here stands for Russian
        "shch"):

        http://www.caida.org/broido/lyr/T0/T0.110.lat.html#s.4

        It runs:

        One two three four five,
        A rabbit went out for a walk.
        Suddenly a hunter ran up,
        And shot the rabbit point blank.
        Pif! Paf! Oj-oj-oj!
        My rabbit is dying!

        They took him to the hospital,
        There he stole a glove.
        They took him to a tent,
        There he stole some chocolate.
        They took him home --
        It turned out, he was alive!

        wrote:

        > That chrúst [maybug] thing got me to thinking . . .
        > what other words do I remember from my youth . . . the
        > thing that came up was a nursery rhyme about a hunter
        > going into the forest to hunt rabbits . . . also
        > taught counting . . . the phrase I remember best is
        > "peek, pock, joychick moi" or "bing, bang, the rabbit
        > died" (again, phonetically spelled). To make a point
        > here, mom always credited my grandfather with the
        > nursery rhyme -- he was from Kiev -- but when I began
        > entering words like rabbit and hunter and forest (not
        > to mention one, two, three, four, five) into the
        > dictionary -- I realized it was SLOVAK -- probably
        > gram's nursery rhyme and not gramps -- although if you
        > hear it a few times, you could probably recite it, not
        > difficult, but definitely slovak, guess he probably
        > recited it to mom as well as gram.
        >
        > Caye

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2004
          Joe:

          Eureka!! That's it! Boy those two languages (Russian
          and Slovak) are close, no wonder Gram and Gramp could
          understand each other!! My sister will be thrilled to
          see/hear/recite this. I think I'll put it into a card
          and give it to her for X-mas, that way when we open
          presents with her children, we can all giggle together
          and say pif paf oj oj oj together -- I really
          appreciate this Joe. I don't remember the 2nd verse,
          and I'm sure my mom just stuck to the first, or maybe
          I lost interest from laughing at the sound of the end
          of the first.

          Caye

          --- "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"

          http://vote.yahoo.com