A proverb for Tuesday

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 28, 2004
      "Ak chces~ priatel'a stratit', poz~ic~aj mu peniaze."

      "If you would make an enemy, lend a man money, and ask it of him
      again." [author]

      "Lend your money and lose your friend."

      Helen
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 28, 2004
        We've probably all learned this by life-experience --
        but so true -- let the banks do the loaning -- nothing
        like an old friend who never paid you back -- ick.

        Caye

        --- Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:

        > "Ak chces~ priatel'a stratit', poz~ic~aj mu
        > peniaze."
        >
        > "If you would make an enemy, lend a man money, and
        > ask it of him
        > again." [author]
        >

        > "Lend your money and lose your friend."
        >
        > Helen

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 28, 2004
          Caye,

          Some of us have done it successfully. When I was drafted I changed
          my bank account to include my brother as co-owner. He did quickly
          thank me for the new dining room set for his young family. He was
          joking. Both he and the money were there when I needed them. So you
          can trust some Slovaks.

          Ron
          PS I have had luck a few following times as well, but to balance this
          I have had terrible luck loaning books!

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2004
            I wasn't referring to just Slovaks . . . I was only
            saying that lending money is for banks. You live, you
            learn.

            Caye

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29, 2004
              Caye,

              It was I who wrote the 'Slovak' reference into the exchange. I
              figured as long as I was telling the story I could honestly make it a
              Slovak (or Rusyn) story. Just for fun.

              Ron

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
                "Brucho slovami nenakrmis^"

                "Fair words fill not the belly" [author]

                "You can't fill your belly with words"

                Helen
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                  "C^o triezvy mysli, opity povie"

                  "What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals" [author]

                  What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.

                  Helen
                • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                    Or "In vino veritas!"

                    Joe

                    "What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals" [author]

                    What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.

                    Helen

                  • Nick Holcz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                      At 10:36 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:

                      >"C^o triezvy mysli, opity povie"
                      >
                      >"What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals" [author]
                      >
                      >What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.
                      >

                      >Helen

                      I was taught

                      In vino veritas In wine the truth

                      Nick
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004
                        I also thought of "Out of the mouths of babes and drunkards comes the
                        truth"

                        Helen

                        >>> nickh@... 11/2/2004 10:22:13 PM >>>
                        At 10:36 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:

                        >"C^o triezvy mysli, opity povie"
                        >
                        >"What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals" [author]
                        >
                        >What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.
                        >

                        >Helen

                        I was taught

                        In vino veritas In wine the truth

                        Nick

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                        To visit your group on the web, go to:
                      • Dr. Joe Q
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004
                          Veritas - the only word that appears on the crest or
                          school seal of Harvard.

                          I went to Notre Dame their crest is much more verbos:

                          Vita
                          Dulcedo
                          Spes

                          Life
                          Sweetness
                          Hope

                          http://www.nd.edu/~wcawley/corson/schoolcolors.htm

                          The "true wine grape" is vina vinfera

                          Dr. "Q"

                          --- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:

                          > At 10:36 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:
                          >
                          > >"C^o triezvy mysli, opity povie"
                          > >
                          > >"What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals"
                          > [author]
                          > >
                          > >What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.
                          > >

                          > >Helen
                          >
                          > I was taught
                          >
                          > In vino veritas In wine the truth
                          >
                          > Nick

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Gerald J. Sabo
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
                            I suspect that the motto of Notre Dame {Our Lady}is based on
                            a line from the Salve Regina: Salve Regina, Mater
                            misericordiae, Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra salve--Jerry
                            Sabo.

                            > Veritas - the only word that appears on the crest or
                            > school seal of Harvard.
                            >
                            > I went to Notre Dame their crest is much more
                            > verbos:
                            >
                            > Vita
                            > Dulcedo
                            > Spes
                            >
                            > Life
                            > Sweetness
                            > Hope
                            >
                            > http://www.nd.edu/~wcawley/corson/schoolcolors.htm
                            >
                            > The "true wine grape" is vina vinfera
                            >
                            > Dr. "Q"
                            >
                            > --- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > At 10:36 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:
                            > >
                            > > >"C^o triezvy mysli, opity povie"
                            > > >
                            > > >"What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals"
                            > > [author]
                            > > >
                            > > >What the sober man thinks, the drunken man says.
                            > > >

                            > > >Helen
                            > >
                            > > I was taught
                            > >
                            > > In vino veritas In wine the truth
                            > >
                            > > Nick

                            > protection around
                            > http://mail.yahoo.com
                            >
                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            > click here

                            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                          • Dr. Joe Q
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
                              Dear Fr. Jerry,

                              Correct, it is!

                              Dr. "Q"

                              --- "Gerald J. Sabo" <gsabo@...> wrote:

                              > I suspect that the motto of Notre Dame {Our Lady}is
                              > based on
                              > a line from the Salve Regina: Salve Regina, Mater
                              > misericordiae, Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
                              > salve--Jerry
                              > Sabo.

                              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                              www.yahoo.com
                            • Edward T. Surkosky
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
                                Veritus is the motto of the "Domine Canis" (hounds of God) the Dominicans - Order of Preachers,
                                founded by St. Dominic de Guzman (1180-1220)

                                Ed Surkosky - etsmred@...