Friday's proverb

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 24, 2004
      "Aka otazka, taka odpoved'."

      "Like question, like answer." [author]

      Would "Like father, like son" be the gist of it?

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 24, 2004
        > "Like question, like answer." [author]
        >
        > Would "Like father, like son" be the gist of it?

        It is applied to actually asking questions. It's used to express A) that
        if you ask a poorly phrased question, you shouldn't expect the answer to
        be helpful, to make sense; or B) that when you ask an intrusive, offensive
        question, the other person is justified to respond in like manner.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 8, 2004
          "Boh nie je nahlivy, ale pamatlivy"

          "God stays long, but strikes at last" [author]

          God isn't fast, he's thoughtful.

          Do we have an English equivalent?

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 15, 2004
            "C^as rany hoji"

            "Time is a great healer" [author]

            Time heals wounds.

            Helen
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 12, 2004
              "Dobry zac^iatok--polovica diela"

              "Well begun is half done" [author]

              A good beginning is half the job.

              Helen
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 29, 2005
                "Rim nebol postaveny za jeden den~"
                Rome was not built in a day

                One more for the weekend:

                "Robit' z komara somara"
                lit.: To make an ass out of a mosquito
                To make a mountain out of a molehill

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 29, 2005
                  If you'll be at the Whiting, Indiana Pierogi Festival
                  for tonight's Parade -- let me know -- I'll try to
                  literally bump into you tonight. I'll be in a duster,
                  babushka, surgical support hose rolled down to
                  mid-calf, bad shoes -- and I'll be sporting a
                  flyswatter from my zipper pull.

                  Oh yeah, and conveniently a family member passed last
                  week, so I have an obituary -- and not an unrelated
                  one either!

                  Thanks to Helen and the others who gave me 'getup
                  suggestions.'

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Fred G Kovalyak
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 29, 2005
                    Caye, ure costume sounds just Adorable, hope u can
                    give us a pic for the S-W Photo Gallery ???

                    Looking forward to seeing u and other S-W members at
                    the annual Slovak Heritage Festival at Pitt in Nov.

                    Fred G Kovalyak
                    Columbia,Md.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 30, 2005
                        Excellent question . . . they couldn't! After the
                        parade, I got credit for having done an excellent job.
                        I told a few "it wasn't me" -- then I began to just
                        smile, but I gotta say, that Parade was a hoot. I
                        personally didn't carry a camera, but I did notice a
                        few folks taking my picture -- so we'll have to surf
                        the internet for pierogifest 05 photos.

                        I highly recommend that fest -- park remotely and take
                        the free shuttlebus -- but the town is quaint and the
                        festival doesn't get nearly as crowded as some Chicago
                        events -- although don't assume I am not saying it
                        wasn't crowded, just not dangerously overcrowded is
                        what I meant.

                        I didn't even have to cheat on my diet -- I was able
                        to get corn-on-the-cob w/o butter -- watermelon and
                        lemonade (made with equal, which I brought -- just
                        asked them to prepare it w/o sugar, please) -- and
                        italian ice. I also found the Pierogi Soap vendor
                        amid the craft booths -- and my car smelled/s like
                        fresh Rosemary -- all the way home.

                        Hey, another thing . . . surgical support stockings
                        (although not sheer and not fashionable) sure do make
                        for some comfy walking on hard surfaces, might want to
                        do it in winter when we wear pants, that way no one
                        knows.

                        Caye

                        --- Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:

                        > So how will anyone distiguish you from all the
                        > others in the Babushka Brigade? Have a great time.
                        > I'm looking forward to seeing any photos.

                        > If you'll be at the Whiting, Indiana Pierogi
                        > Festival
                        > for tonight's Parade -- let me know -- I'll try to
                        > literally bump into you tonight. I'll be in a
                        > duster,
                        > babushka, surgical support hose rolled down to
                        > mid-calf, bad shoes -- and I'll be sporting a
                        > flyswatter from my zipper pull.
                        >
                        > Oh yeah, and conveniently a family member passed
                        > last
                        > week, so I have an obituary -- and not an unrelated
                        > one either!
                        >
                        > Thanks to Helen and the others who gave me 'getup
                        > suggestions.'
                        >

                        > Caye

                        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Caye Caswick
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 30, 2005
                          If nothing gets posted to the Internet -- I guess I
                          can arrange for one of my nieces to photograph my
                          get-up for S-W -- and most assuredly, I am already
                          booked for SHF at Pitt -- first weekend in November,
                          that is another good-'un -- hope to see more of us
                          this time.

                          Caye

                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                            The $64,000 question is: will you be wearing your P-F outfit in P-burgh?

                            >>> ccaswick@... 07/30/05 10:15 AM >>>

                            If nothing gets posted to the Internet -- I guess I
                            can arrange for one of my nieces to photograph my
                            get-up for S-W -- and most assuredly, I am already
                            booked for SHF at Pitt -- first weekend in November,
                            that is another good-'un -- hope to see more of us
                            this time.

                            Caye

                            --- Fred G Kovalyak <fkovalyak@...> wrote:

                            > Caye, ure costume sounds just Adorable, hope u can
                            > give us a pic for the S-W Photo Gallery ???
                            >
                            > Looking forward to seeing u and other S-W members
                            > at
                            > the annual Slovak Heritage Festival at Pitt in Nov.
                            >
                            > Fred G Kovalyak
                            > Columbia,Md.

                            > protection around
                            > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • Caye Caswick
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                              If you dare me to, I'm there. You must attend, and
                              bring a camera -- cause let's face it -- A Busha with
                              a camera is out of costume.

                              ;-P

                              Caye

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                                Hmmmm, I'll give some thought to coming. I've wanted to come up for a few years now, but it's never quite worked out.

                                >>> ccaswick@... 08/01/05 10:48 AM >>>

                                --- Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:

                                > The $64,000 question is: will you be wearing your
                                > P-F outfit in P-burgh?

                                > If nothing gets posted to the Internet -- I guess I
                                > can arrange for one of my nieces to photograph my
                                > get-up for S-W -- and most assuredly, I am already
                                > booked for SHF at Pitt -- first weekend in November,
                                > that is another good-'un -- hope to see more of us
                                > this time.
                                >

                                > Caye
                                >

                                > --- Fred G Kovalyak <fkovalyak@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > > Caye, ure costume sounds just Adorable, hope u
                                > can
                                > > give us a pic for the S-W Photo Gallery ???
                                > >
                                > > Looking forward to seeing u and other S-W
                                > members
                                > > at
                                > > the annual Slovak Heritage Festival at Pitt in
                                > Nov.
                                > >
                                > > Fred G Kovalyak
                                > > Columbia,Md.

                                > > protection around
                                > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                > Visit your group "Slovak-World" on the web.
                                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                              • Caye Caswick
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                                  absolutely cannot resist this temptation . . .

                                  DARE YA!!!!

                                  ;-P
                                  Caye

                                  Yahoo! Mail for Mobile