Wednesday's proverb

    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 22, 2004
      "Aj slepa kura najde niekedy zrno"
      [author: "A blind man may perchance hit the hare"]

      "Even a blind hen sometimes finds a piece of grain"

    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 22, 2004
        Or as we say:

        Even a blind pig can sometimes find an acorn. (very close to the
        Slovak)
        Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

        I never heard the "blind man hitting a hare" saying. I thought it
        might be an English expression, but Google turned up nothing. Maybe
        the author was just being creative.

        I love these, Helenko, keep them coming!

        Joe

        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 22, 2004
          His English-language versions do tend to sound British. I don't know if
          he (or whoever did the translating) learned British English (as is
          common all over Europe) or if he had access to a book of English/British
          proverbs.

          Not to worry, at the rate of one a day, I have enough for over a year.
          And when I finish the Hecko book, we have a 2-volume set called
          "Slovenske prislovia a porekadla", 1996, which has selected proverbs
          from Adolf Peter Zaturecky's "Slovenske prislovia, porekadla a uslovia"
          published in Prague in 1897. They're only in Slovak, so we can guess at
          what the proverbs mean. On average, there are 5 proverbs per page, with
          a total of about 600 pages.

          >>> JArmata@... 9/22/2004 3:04:18 PM >>>
          Or as we say:

          Even a blind pig can sometimes find an acorn. (very close to the
          Slovak)
          Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

          I never heard the "blind man hitting a hare" saying. I thought it
          might be an English expression, but Google turned up nothing. Maybe
          the author was just being creative.

          I love these, Helenko, keep them coming!

          Joe

          [author: "A blind man may perchance hit the hare"]

          "Even a blind hen sometimes finds a piece of grain"

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 13, 2004
            "Cesta do pekla je vydlaz^dena dobrymi umyslami"

            "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

            Helen
          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 14, 2004
              At 03:27 AM 14/10/2004, you wrote:

              >"Cesta do pekla je vydlaz^dena dobrymi umyslami"
              >
              >"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
              >

              >Helen

              You don't need an equivalent in English for that one. It is the same.
              Do you know the origin?
              Nick
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 14, 2004
                No, but all the other languages in the book have the same proverb
                (although in some languages, it's hell that's paved, not the road
                there).

                Helen

                >>> nickh@... 10/14/2004 5:15:02 AM >>>
                At 03:27 AM 14/10/2004, you wrote:

                >"Cesta do pekla je vydlaz^dena dobrymi umyslami"
                >
                >"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
                >

                >Helen

                You don't need an equivalent in English for that one. It is the same.
                Do you know the origin?
                Nick

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                To visit your group on the web, go to:
              • Martin Votruba
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 14, 2004
                  >> Do you know the origin?
                  >
                  > all the other languages in the book have the same proverb (although in
                  > some languages, it's hell that's paved, not the road there)

                  A very old version, from the 12th century, is quoted after monk Bernard de
                  Clairvaux: "Hell is full of good wishes or desires."

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 20, 2004
                    "C^i chlieb jes^, toho piesen^ spievaj"

                    "Let every man praise the bridge he goes over" [author]

                    You sing the song of the person whose bread you eat.

                    "He who pays the piper calls the tune." (1st reference in 1611)

                  • Fred G Kovalyak
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 20, 2004
                      Severak Slovak cousins will be visiting with me this
                      Fri-Sat from Western Pa..

                      Are there any interesting activities scheduled at
                      the Embassy in DC 22-23 Oct ?

                      Fred G Kovalyak
                      columbia,Md.
                    • Fred G Kovalyak
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 20, 2004
                        Thank u for the prompt reply Romi.
                        I was at the Embassy when Helene Cinebeaux rcvd a
                        award from (then) President Schuster. I took alot of
                        very good photoes of the event.

                        Enjoyed the Excellent food and beverages, but
                        NEVER knew about a tour of the Embassy.

                        When are the Tours of the EMBASSY available ?
                        I would like to take one some day ...

                        fgk

                        "General Info Slovak Embassy Washington DC"
                        <info@...> View Contact Details
                        To: "Fred G Kovalyak" <fkovalyak@...>
                        Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Slovakia Embassy
                        Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:31:36 -0700

                        Hi Fred,

                        there are no particular activities scheduled for
                        those days. You can just come to see the building
                        from outside or inside in the lobby, not the whole
                        building tour.

                        ALL the best to you and your Slovakian friends,

                        Romi

                        > Severak Slovak cousins will be visiting with me
                        >this Fri-Sat from Western Pa..
                        >
                        > Are there any interesting activities scheduled at
                        > the Embassy in DC 22-23 Oct ?
                        >
                        > Fred G Kovalyak
                        > Columbia,Md.
                      • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 20, 2004
                          Or "Ya dance with them as brung ya."

                          Joe

                          "Let every man praise the bridge he goes over" [author]

                          You sing the song of the person whose bread you eat.

                          "He who pays the piper calls the tune." (1st reference in 1611)

                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 20, 2004
                            Joe:

                            Ain't that "Ya goes home with him that brung ya?"

                            Just wonderin.

                            Caye

                            --- "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"

                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/KDdolB/TM

                            http://vote.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 20, 2004
                              Is that a local Pittsburgh saying? I've never heard that.

                              Helen

                              >>> JArmata@... 10/20/2004 12:18:54 PM >>>

                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 20, 2004
                                In a message dated 10/20/04 12:30:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                ccaswick@... writes:

                                > Ain't that "Ya goes home with him that brung ya?"

                                Caye,
                                I love it!!!
                                Noreen

                              • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 21, 2004
                                  I've usually heard it in political campaigns - meaning that if you're
                                  voted into office by left-handed Armenian xylophone players from
                                  Presov, you have to enact legislation they like.

                                  Joe

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
                                    "C^o zasejes^, to budes^ z^at"

                                    "What you sow, you must mow" [author]

                                    As you sow, so shall you reap.

                                    Helen
                                  • raybravo2000
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
                                      Pani Fedor,

                                      Dakujem. The proverbs feature consisantly add color and humor to
                                      Slovak-World.

                                      Colin

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
                                        Nemate za c^o. And "pani" is way too formal for this list, pan Colin.
                                        ;-)

                                        Helen

                                        >>> colinv@... 11/3/2004 12:04:42 PM >>>

                                        Pani Fedor,

                                        Dakujem. The proverbs feature consisantly add color and humor to
                                        Slovak-World.

                                        Colin

                                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
                                        > "C^o zasejes^, to budes^ z^at"
                                        >
                                        > "What you sow, you must mow" [author]
                                        >
                                        > As you sow, so shall you reap.
                                        >

                                        > Helen

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                        Get unlimited calls to
                                        U.S./Canada
                                      • PicasGurl@webtv.net
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
                                          Helen F,
                                          What is the difference between pan and pani, if you don't mind me
                                          asking? Does it have anything to do with gender? Just curious.

                                          See you later,
                                          Haidee
                                          PicasGurl@...
                                        • Jane Policelli
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
                                            Haidee
                                            Pan - gentleman - sir
                                            pani -lady
                                            very formal

                                            Jane

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
                                              Thank you for the clarification Jane! You seem to be new on this list
                                              since the last time I was here. Welcome to the list! In fact, welcome
                                              to all new SW'ers since I was last here!

                                              See you later,
                                              Haidee
                                              PicasGurl@...
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 15, 2004
                                                Jednym uderom zabit' dve muchy

                                                To kill two birds with one stone [author]

                                                To kill two flies with one blow

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 9, 2005
                                                  "Kto vel'a sl'ubuje, malo dava"

                                                  He that promises too much, means nothing [author]

                                                  He who promises much, gives little

                                                  Helen
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 23, 2005
                                                    "Lievat' vodu do Dunaja"

                                                    To carry coals to Newcastle [author]

                                                    To pour water into the Danube

                                                    Helen
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005
                                                      "My o vlku a vlk za humnami"

                                                      Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]

                                                      We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                                                      Helen
                                                    • Michelle A Mader
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005

                                                        >"My o vlku a vlk za humnami"
                                                        >
                                                        >Talk of the devil, and he is sure to appear [author]
                                                        >
                                                        >We're [talking about] the wolf and the wolf is out beyond the backyards

                                                        Would this be similar to "Don't borrow trouble" ?

                                                        Michelle Maco Mader
                                                        Cleveland, Ohio USA
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Mar 9, 2005
                                                          We'd say "Speak of the devil..."

                                                          Helen

                                                          >>> Michelle.A.Mader@... 03/09/05 3:10 PM >>>

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Mar 23, 2005
                                                            "Na vlastnej s~kode sa c~lovek uc~i"
                                                            Adversity is the school of wisdom [author]
                                                            A person learns from his own mistakes [literally]

                                                            Helen
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 20, 2005
                                                              "Niet ruz~e bez trnia"
                                                              No rose without a thorn