7852Re: Pre-EU Shopping Spree

  • Martin Votruba
    May 1, 2004
      > I missed the online CATO discussion on the EU ... Did you get an
      > opportunity to listen in?

      I did, Janko -- thanks again for posting it. It was fairly interesting,
      but not overwhelmingly so. By comparison to the two guys from Cato who
      spoke, the SK Ambassador was rather impressionistic. A Cato speaker
      argued strongly that accepting the eruo soon would be bad for the new
      members, since they would give up a means to manage their economies, whose
      needs are substantially different from the rich members under whose
      control the euro is.

      An interesting moment was when a Cato speaker harped a bit on Paris that
      instead of trying to dominate Europe, it should try to show genuine
      leadership. And one of the European participants responded that he felt
      no particular need for anyone's "leadership." In Slovakia, too, the
      concept of a "leader" smacks of "Fuehrer," or of "the leading role of the
      Communist Party," and is usually avoided. The Slovaks are beginning to
      use the English word _leader_ when talking about leadership now, since the
      corresponding Slovak noun is quite unusable for historical reasons.

      > has confirmed that workers from the enlarged EU will face no
      > restrictions in the Czech Republic. Minister Skromach said that the
      > country would welcome all EU citizens

      I wonder whether the English version reflects what's going on. If so,
      Prague has changed its policies. Originally, it decided to "retaliate"
      and only open its labor market to the _new_ EU members, and to those old
      EU members that open their labor markets to the new members (Ireland,
      Britain, and Sweden, where the parliament overturned the government's
      proposal to the contrary).

      > what Slovakia's views on employment of EU workers in SK?

      Slovakia has opened its labor market to all the EU members. I agree,
      Janko, that one wouldn't expect too many West European workers flocking to
      any of the new members. It's more of a symbolic gesture on the part of
      Bratislava, as well as Prague.

      What's never discussed, though, are any potential pressures on the new
      members' labor markets from other new members. The Czech R. and Slovakia
      have kept their labor market mutually open since their split, but the
      others haven't.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic