7807Re: [Slovak-World] Church Pickpocket Lady

  • Caye Caswick
    Apr 28, 2004
      Thanks Noreen -- one of my mom's old friends just gave me the complete scoop -- apparently the woman recently passed away, but she wore a white peasant blouse and made a huge skirt with hundreds of pockets sewn inside and wore a HUGE straw hat. She'd pass out tickets to the little children and they'd trade her a ticket for a "chance" at reaching into one of her pockets. She had things like plastic army men for boys, little plastic figurines for girls, toy jewelry, baseball cards, you know "dollar store" kind of things -- but it was so much fun when I was really little, and I'm even surprised I pulled it out of my memory banks. The church was St. Michael's Russian Orthodox Church in Cleveland -- but one of the priests at our Quad Parish Picnic Planning Meeting last night said he thought when he was a child he had seen something similar in Pennsylvania -- so I'm guessing the idea spread around the Orthodox Churches in OH and PA. I'll let you know how my idea comes off -- Picnic is
      in early June, and yes, my parish is darn tootin fun, or so I think. Stl Luke the Evangelist Orthodox Church in the south suburbs of Chicago, if anyone is ever in the neighborhood, we'd love to show you our bell tower (authentic bells ordered from Russia -- we'll even let you ring them if you'd like).

      Caye

      krejc@... wrote:
      Caye,
      I do not have any help to offer you but I wanted to let you know that i am
      intrigued by this idea and never heard of it. What fun!!!!!
      will be watching for any responses to this. your Gram's church must have had
      a fun loving group of people.
      Noreen