      From: J. Michutka [mailto:jmm@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 5:33 AM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] electronic translators

      If you want to go non-electronic, I was quite happy with these:

      Hippocrene Compact Dictionary--Slovak-Engl/Engl-Slovak ISBN
      0-7818-0501-5 $8.95 very small (3x4.5 inches), 7500 entries I used this
      a lot on my second trip, after having learned some of the language

      Slovak-Eng/Engl-Slovak Dictionary and Phrasebook by Sylvia and John M.
      Lorinc ISBN 0-7818-0663-1 $13.95 about the size of a checkbook but
      slightly thicker I took this one both trips; didn't use it a lot, but it
      came in handy a few times, I'd find the phrase I wanted and point to it
      rather than trying to pronounce an unfamiliar language (first trip)

      small notepad and pencil

      No dictionary or phrasebook or electronic translator will get you through a
      real conversation without your knowing something of the grammar of the
      language, especially a language like Slovak which is so different from
      English and is highly inflected (various endings for verbs, nouns, and
      adjectives). I could go on and on about this, but that's it in a nutshell.

      Julie Michutka