3485Re: [Slovak-World] Classic Article on "grotesque creation of Versailles"

  • Martin Votruba
    Jun 7, 2003
      > what may be described as romantic anarchists

      That's a great description, Andrea, I'll remember that.

      > many Slovaks did feel disadvantaged by the Czech majority, but on the
      > other hand they mostly saw the advantages of maintaining the union

      I agree completely. Actually, the same opinion polls that show that a
      large majority of the Slovaks (and Czechs) wanted for Czecho-Slovakia to
      remain one country, also show the two groups to have very divergent,
      perhaps irreconcilable views on its political makeup (centralist - Czechs;
      federal-confederate - Slovaks).

      Of course, Rothbard didn't know that. Although I don't think he had valid
      arguments for why the country was splitting, or should split, his piece
      was no less informed than the arguments of those who lamented the
      approaching split at that time. And it's useful to see that someone
      basically said "why not," instead of the incessant "oh, my" one read at
      that time, supported by equally unfounded arguments. Thanks for it again,
      Andrea, I'll include it in my course materials.

      > How they ultimately interpret the past will depend on the long term
      > outcome. But this time they have no one to blame but their fellow
      > Slovaks.

      I essentially thought the same then. In my view, Slovakia's main issue at
      that time was its (state) government, and that issue was not going to
      change regardless of whether Czecho-Slovakia was one country, or two. I
      also thought that Slovakia's problem was that it had no "reasonable"
      politicians/parties, who'd find it natural to look after its regional
      interests.

      They still don't to the same degree that its post-communist neighbors do.

      Many "reasonable" Slovak politicians still tend to look for a kind of
      authority, or guidance outside their country. The Parliament often passes
      bills, which were earlier adopted in Prague, just like in the former
      federation; and the politicians sound like they see Brussels as their new
      "Prague" -- an authority to grumble about on occasion, while mostly, and
      contentedly implementing its decisions. A change in this, if it comes,
      could not have taken place, had Slovakia stayed in the former federation.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic