34637Re: [Slovak-World] Real (Potato) Halusky Class -- March 6, Pittsburgh Area

  • Caye Caswick
    Feb 13 9:41 AM
      Do you have a local source for Bryndza for that Halushky?  Wish I was nearby, sounds interesting.

      On Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:37 AM, "dragansk@..." <dragansk@...> wrote:

      For those of you in the Pittsburgh area, I’ll be teaching a 3-hour Halusky class through Franklin Regional Adult School at Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville (east side of Pgh) March 6, from 6 to 9 pm.  I've taught this class a few times with this group -- and quite a few more times in Greensburg.

      This is kapustove “potato” halusky (not noodles & cabbage, which is not halusky). The class is open to all, although non-Murrysville residents pay a little more ($5-10) over the $25 fee.  We eat what we make, plus participants get to take home a container of halusky as well.  The cooking part of the class is preceded by a 30-minute talk I give about various aspects of halusky.

      I’ll also be teaching this class at Westmoreland County Community College in Youngwood, PA (near Greensburg) sometime in June.

      Dennis Ragan

      Details on the March 6th class in Murrysville are at:

      Below is the listing from the Franklin Regional Adult School web page:

      SLOVAK ‘REAL POTATO’ HALUSKY
      Learn to make “real” halusky like Baba (grandma) made.  Potato halusky (not noodle halusky) has been made for more than 100 years in eastern Slovakia.  This is a working class—not a demo.  Enjoy the fare that you prepare.  Tuition includes cost of materials.  Class will be held March 6.

      Thursday  6:00-9:00 P.M.
      Location: SHS-107
      Class Limit: 12
      No. of Weeks: 1