34617Re: [Slovak-World] Jon Stewart

  • Ben Sorensen
    Dec 12, 2013
      Exactly Scott. Jan here cannot see (or does not want to see) that Jon Stewart was not slamming Slovakia, he was slamming Americans. Without the first sentence, the joke would have been very insulting to Slovaks. Because of the first sentence, he was proving just how stupid Americans (esp. that announcer) really are.

      By the way, having lived in Slovakia, being just behind them is not a bad place to be-I thought. What caught me was not how low America is in education, but how low Slovakia is! I wonder about how they calculated that...
      Ben

      On Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:46 AM, Scott Mikusko <scott@...> wrote:

      No, that's exactly the point. It's not meant to be offensive to Slovaks, it's meant to show how silly/ignorant some Americans can be.   The Daily Show is satirizing how some look down on smaller countries, by making silly statements in spoofing the sort of dumb things people say about other countries.   In this context, Jon's make those silly comments about Slovakia in a light that ridicules the person making the statement, not the object of the silly statements.   It's a form of ironic humor.    It's a sort of humor that doesn't translate well, I guess.

      Slovaks getting pissed off about this really don't get the joke.  I think it's touching a nerve that isn't accustomed to ironic humor.

      On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM, john aa <slovensko00@...> wrote:

      Hahaha, funny bit.

      Skôr trapné...uraziť slovákov...to je funny bit ?

      On Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:10 PM, Scott Mikusko <scott@...> wrote:

      Hahaha, funny bit.  Of course, as seems to be the case, the humor isn't really at Slovakia's expense. It's more a satire on Americans' perception of how we think other countries are not as good as we are.

      This sort of reverse self-deprecating humor is lost on many people.  I think the topky.sk author doesn't quite get it.  Daily Show is a master of this sort of thing; it can be rather subtle on who the subject of the satire really is.

      -S

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic