34538Re: [Slovak-World] Czech translation: sla oferou

  • James Dubelko
    Jul 30, 2013
      I took a history class a few years back in which I read a book about
      peasant culture in the early modern European era. If I recall correctly,
      pregnant women were banned from attending mass. Women were considered to
      be "unclean" when pregnant and they were kept away from the church--as well
      as away from men, during their pregnancy. After giving birth, the woman
      was "welcomed" back to the church in a cleansing ritual administered by a

      Jim Dubelko

      On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM, William Brna <wfbrna@...> wrote:

      > **
      > On 7/30/2013 2:51 PM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:
      > >
      > > I ran across a phrase in Czech I'm having trouble with, and maybe some
      > > of you familiar with Czech or from western Slovakia may be able to
      > > help. It's describing the churching ritual - the blessing Catholic
      > > women used to receive 40 days after giving birth. (You old timers may
      > > remember that!)
      > >
      > > The text says that after the priest blessed the woman she "s~la
      > > ofe~rou kolem oltare" . How would that be translated? In the churching
      > > ritual, the woman sometimes would kneel before the altar; is that all
      > > this means? In that case, is "s~la ofe~rou" a standard expression that
      > > means to kneel, or is the author being creative here?
      > >
      > > The noun ofe~ra seems to refer to the Offertory part of the Mass, so
      > > maybe it means she went during the Offertory by/around the altar? But
      > > the churching ceremony was a private one, it wasn't done during a
      > > Mass, so that doesn't seem to fit.
      > >
      > > Any input would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > Joe
      > >

      > Joe,
      > I am somewhat familiar with the "churching" rite. My ancestors are from
      > Orava and the rite was performed right after the child was baptized.
      > The new mother knelt before a side altar and the priest who baptized the
      > child, prayed and welcomed the mother back into the church. I don't
      > know whether this was a local practice or not, but I do know that my
      > sister-in-law was welcomed back into full communion with the church
      > after her son was born.
      > Bill Brna

      Jim Dubelko
      6051 Sandpiper Lane