      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: gsabo@...
      Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:59:53 -0400
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Czech translation: sla oferou

      The churching is the Christian ceremony imitating the Jewish practice and

      ceremony that is highlighted in Luke's Gospel, Chapter two, when forty days

      after Jesus' birth Mary and Joseph go to the temple with Jesus and there

      meet Simeon who predicts things about the child and the old woman

      prophetess Anna. One of the traditional names of the Feb. 2nd feastday for

      Catholics is Purification, since there was a cleansing of the woman after

      the impurity suffered in giving birth who could now return to interact with

      the religious community.

      Perhaps an article on any of the above could provide a better

      explanation of this ceremony. I am not sure whether the old edition (teens

      of the tweniteth century) or the new one from 1967 Catholic Encyclopedia

      would have anything on "churching." This may help with "she went," but is

      "oferou" instrumental case of "ofera"? and so "by means of" what?

      Sorry I am unable to do better--Jerry Sabo.