34536Re: [Slovak-World] Czech translation: sla oferou

  • William Brna
    Jul 30 5:21 PM
      On 7/30/2013 2:51 PM, Armata, Joseph R wrote:

      > I ran across a phrase in Czech I'm having trouble with, and maybe some
      > of you familiar with Czech or from western Slovakia may be able to
      > help. It's describing the churching ritual - the blessing Catholic
      > women used to receive 40 days after giving birth. (You old timers may
      > remember that!)
      >
      > The text says that after the priest blessed the woman she "s~la
      > ofe~rou kolem oltare" . How would that be translated? In the churching
      > ritual, the woman sometimes would kneel before the altar; is that all
      > this means? In that case, is "s~la ofe~rou" a standard expression that
      > means to kneel, or is the author being creative here?
      >
      > The noun ofe~ra seems to refer to the Offertory part of the Mass, so
      > maybe it means she went during the Offertory by/around the altar? But
      > the churching ceremony was a private one, it wasn't done during a
      > Mass, so that doesn't seem to fit.
      >
      > Any input would be appreciated.
      >
      > Joe

      Joe,

      I am somewhat familiar with the rite of "churching". My ancestors came
      from Orava and "churching" was at least a local practice. Following the
      baptism of a baby, the mother knelt at a side altar and received a
      blessing from the parish priest, partly in thanksgiving for a successful
      delivery. The mother was then received into full communion with the church.

      Bill Brna