34525Re: Starting my Tours 2013

  • Ron
    Jul 23, 2013
      Joe, you make me think of a similar experience, finding a young man in robes high in the Tatras as well. Shortly after the communist era that was quite a shock.

      Yes, there were a good number of religious to be seen in Poland, in full habit. Both of us noted that Polish auto traffic was significantly higher than was traffic in Slovakia, this in the Wisowa-Zdroj area (opposite Cigelka) to Krynica - Stara Lubovna. Driving from Krakow airport where I rented the car to Wisowa-Zdroj was no joy for traffic, and about half of that was on magnificently new freeway. My map from 20 years ago was fully obsolete. Happily the rental company gave me a good one, and the agent carefully explaines which signs to follow, I believe to Przmysal instead of Gorlice, as I would have guessed. It was a bit like driving to Toledo from Cleveland and having to choose between New York and Chicago as destination on the freeway. Most noticable on the freeways are the extremely long on and off ramps. I would guess they are about 1 km (half mile) long!

      I hardly saw any horse drawn wagons at all. Poland seemed prosperous, though much of that could be the EU money invested. Looking at the spa of Wisowa-Zdrj, I hope their business proves sufficient to support all of the new, beautiful infrastructure.

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata@...> wrote:

      > Hi Ron! Great post!
      >
      > Over 20 years ago I noticed a difference between Slovakia and Poland. As soon as I crossed the border into Poland in the mountain towns, I saw fewer cars and a lot more horse-drawn wagons. I also saw many priests and nuns in religious garb, something I rarely saw on the Slovak side. Are those still true today in the EU era?
      >
      > One of my memories is gingerly climbing up a public trail in the Tatra mountains in a steep and tricky spot, with the assistance of spikes hammered into the rocks around. I looked up and saw coming down the trail towards me a nun in full habit with her arm in a sling! I figured if she can do it in her habit with only one good arm, I should be able to do it too.
      >
      > Joe

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic