34417photo

  • Nemam Meno
    Apr 8, 2013
      Helen:
      It’s an old folk song and an old adage at the same time.  I know it as “Zaspievalo vtáča na kosodrevine, čo komu súdené, to ho ver neminie.”
      Simply put, it implies that you get what you deserve.  Literally, however, it says: a singing bird on scrub warns that what your fate (what has been adjudged) has prepared for you, it won’t miss you.  Of course, in Slovak, it rhymes, it’s poetically written, and it sounds more eloquent than my mediocre translation, which is neither poetic nor elegant.
      Take care,