      From: Ron <amiak27@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:21 PM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak Easter Monday celebrations

      Vilo,

      After the Sudetenland was emptied of the ethnic Germans the land was opened up to internal colonization within CzechoSlovakia. I had an uncle and an aunt who each brought their families from eastern Slovakia to the former Sudetenland, in this case the Spa area (Marianske Lazne, Fratiskovy Lazne and Karlovy Vary)today in the NW corner of the Czech Republic, right on the German border.

      There were so many Slovaks and Rusyn resettled in the area that they brought their culture and traditions with them and effectively formed colonies or islands of Slovak & Rusyn culture. Thus the Easter traditions are quite healthy there as well as in Slovakia.

      Today they are pretty well assimilated into the Czech culture, r identify as Czech, even if they carry on the Slovak traditions. As most of our ancestors became American.

      I don't know how closely related it is, but Ivan Popp settled in Cheb, next to Frantiskovy Lazne, just one of the better known people.

      Ron