34300RE: [Slovak-World] Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

    Jan 13, 2013
      Oops, I forgot about Julia.

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: helenezx@...
      Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 03:28:11 -0800
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

      Hi Everyone,

      Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.

      Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.

      Female names

      Maria

      Anna

      Helena

      Zuzana

      Katerina

      Barbora

      Dorota

      Lucia

      Male Names

      Juraj

      Jan

      Michal

      Jozef

      Peter

      Mikulas

      Matej

      Martin

      Lukas

      Ondrej

      David

      Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.

      My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...

      The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.

      helene