34292Re: [Slovak-World] Saints & First Names in Slovakia a Century Ago

  • helene cincebeaux
    Jan 13, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      Writing an article on saints who were beloved in Slovakia a hundred years ago and were the inspiration for many of our ancestor's first names.

      Here's a quick list i came up with - would welcome recurring first names in your ancestral family.

      Female names
      Maria
      Anna
      Helena
      Zuzana
      Katerina
      Barbora
      Dorota
      Lucia

      Male Names
      Juraj
      Jan
      Michal
      Jozef
      Peter
      Mikulas
      Matej
      Martin
      Lukas
      Ondrej
      David

      Our Winter 2012 issue of "Slovakia" had a super article by SW's Michael Mojher on Slovak Mythology and the pantheon of pagan gods. Michael's niece Claire Mojher did gorgeous illustrations for the article and a fantastically colorful and creative cover of St Nicholas.

      My printer gave me extras so if someone would like a copy for $1 to cover postage and handling please e mail me directly at helenezx@...

      The issue also had a gorgeous icon, some wonderful naive paintings and an article on Milan Rastislav Stefanik, Slovakia's Renaissance man, whose loss is still mourned.

      helene
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic