      From: votrubam <votrubam@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:47 PM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Kosice - European Culture City 2013

      > Our interpreter made it clear to us that the street language
      > of Kosice is Hungarian.

      Given that 2.65 percent of the population of Kosice called themselves Hungarian in the 2011 Census, that tiny number of people would have to be swarming around your guide 24-7 for him/her to conjure up such a claim. Unless your guide was deranged, s/he must have been speaking about the distant past at that point. Practically no one can speak Hungarian in Kosice today according to the data on language use in Slovakia, several more times "Kosicers" speak German or/and English, but they're not the city's "street languages," either.