      From: James Dubelko <jdubelko@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, December 7, 2012 5:07 PM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] "Magyarone" Slovaks

      Interesting story of the development of separate Hungarian and Slovak Roman
      Catholic Churches in New York.  There was a very similar development in
      Cleveland in the same period--only it worked out the other way.  St.
      Ladislas was founded in around 1888 on Cleveland's east side as a Roman
      Catholic parish for Hungarians and Slovaks. Before long both groups were
      squabbling over which should have the better time for the mass said in its
      native language.  The dispute was submitted to the bishop of Cleveland who
      negotiated an agreement which led to the Hungarians leaving St. Ladislas
      and founding a new Roman Catholic parish a few blocks away.  The new church
      the Hungarians in Cleveland built was called St. Elizabeth of Hungary
      Church and it claims to be the oldest Hungarian Roman Catholic church in
      America.  Cleveland Historical--an app created by the Center for Public
      History and Digital Humanities (CPHDH) at Cleveland State University (I
      work there as a graduate assistant), has a story that mentions the dispute
      that led to the new Hungarian church:

      Jim Dubelko

      On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Art <KD7EER@...> wrote:

      > **
      > The first Slovak parish in New York was the Church of St. Elizabeth of
      > Hungary (Slovensky Kostol Sv. Alzbety), founded in 1891 and located on East
      > 4th Street. Its pastor, Father Francis Dénes, tried to cater to both
      > pro-Hungarian ("Magyarone") and anti-Hungarian Slovaks, but neither group
      > was pleased. After a period of unrest in which small incidences could take
      > on cosmic dimensions, Archbishop Corrigan allowed the Slovak nationalists
      > to withdraw from the parish and organize the Church of St. John Nepomucene
      > (Slovensky Kostol Sv. Jana Nepomuckeho) in a former synagogue a few doors
      > away on the same street.
      > This explains why my Mother was baptised and confirmed at St Elizabeth's.
      > I never heard her refer to herself or anyone in her family as other than
      > "Hungarians" however over the years have found family documents showing her
      > parents both emigrated in 1905 from Eperes/Presov in what is now Slovakia
      > and all their documents including Grandpa's military pass show they were
      > Slovaks and he was even Greek Catholic (Gorog Kath)on school docs. I heard
      > my Mother speaking some Slovak later in life but she said she was speaking
      > "hungarian" I knew better having been to Czech at Defense Language
      > Institute in the Army and already working with immigrants in Germany.
      > Clearly there was some ethnic "brainwashing" going on back then as I see in
      > this history of their church.
      > Thank God that the Slovaks finally came into a national identity and
      > country of their own free of the Magyars and Czechs.

      Jim Dubelko
      6051 Sandpiper Lane
      North Olmsted, OH  44070
      *cell: *440-829-8801