34197Re: Emigration to AUSTRALIA

  • votrubam
    Nov 23, 2012
      > Sorry, but you are incorrect.

      No need to be sorry, both preposition are correct.

      > The prefix "E" literally means "OUT OF" .. like "EX" in Latin.
      > The prefix "IM" (a version of "IN") means 'INTO' ...

      Certainly, and the prefixes have nothing to do with the prepositions. In a sentence, each preposition indicates, separately, "the place of departure" and "the place of arrival."

      Emigrate means "depart, leave, abandon..." They all go with both "the place of departure" and "the place of arrival": The aircraft departed from Slovakia for America. Jozo Kovac left his garden for the post office.

      Immigrate means "come, arrive, enter..." They all go with both "the place of departure" and "the place of arrival": The aircraft came to America from Slovakia. Jozo Kovac entered the room from the hallway.

      To say otherwise is like fantasizing that it might be "incorrect" to say, _He entered from the hallway_, "because enter means 'into,' so you mustn't say 'where from.'"

      The following sentences are perfectly correct, the difference is one of a perspective -- are we viewing Jozo from his home country (emigrated, emigrant) or are we viewing Jozo from his target country (immigrated, immigrant)? Both the place of departure and the place of arrival can be, correctly, expressed in both instances:

      Jozo emigrated from Slovakia to America. (Jozo viewed from SK)
      Jozo immigrated from Slovakia to America. (Jozo viewed from the US)