34196Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Emigration to AUSTRALIA

  • n8de@thepoint.net
    Nov 22, 2012
      Sorry, Martin, but you are incorrect.

      Both words are based on the root "migrate" .. meaning, of course,
      going from one place to another.

      The prefix "E" literally means "OUT OF" .. like "EX" in Latin.

      The prefix "IM" (a version of "IN") means 'INTO' ...

      As I said:
      People EMIGRATE TO .... they are IMMIGRANTS FROM ...

      My grandparents emigrated TO the USA and were immigrants FROM what is
      now Slovakia.

      Those are precisely defined terms.

      Best wishes
      Don Havlicek

      Quoting votrubam <votrubam@...>:

      >> People EMIGRATE TO .... they are IMMIGRANTS FROM ...
      >
      > The prepositions have nothing to do with it, both prepositions are
      > correct. The difference between an emigrant and an immigrant is
      > that of a perspective.
      >
      > The common perspective of a Jozo Kovac in Banska Bystrica is that
      > Peter Novak emigrated from Slovakia to America. The common
      > perspective of a Joseph Smith in Chicago is that Peter Novak
      > immigrated from Slovakia to America.
      >
      > To emphasize the difference with uncommon ways of putting it, an
      > e-migrant is someone who moved "away from here to over there," an
      > im-migrant is someone who moved "from over there into here."
      >
      > Both "from" and "to" go perfectly well with either "emigrate" or "immigrate."
      >
      > The choice of e-/im- depends only on the perspective, are we
      > thinking more of the person's status in his country of origin ("the
      > one who left" = emigrant, emigrate from ... to ...) or of the
      > person's status in his target country ("the one who came" =
      > immigrant, immigrate from ... to ...).
      >

      > Martin

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic