34078RE: [Slovak-World] Re: In case I haven't already sent this out...

    Oct 10, 2012
      Are you in the Washington DC area? If you can't make it to the talk, then you could go to the publisher's website and buy it there < http://mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-6571-2 >.

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: KathleenKleber@...
      Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 20:01:44 -0400
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: In case I haven't already sent this out...

      How much is the book and how would I go about purchasing one for a gift?

      In a message dated 10/8/2012 4:44:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      helenfedor@... writes:

      Not Helene, Helen.
      Helen

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: geismom@...
      Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 19:13:06 +0000

      Wow! THere is apparently a LOT of Slovak history that I need to learn!
      Thanks for posting this, Helene!

      Barbara

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Helen Fedor <helenfedor@...> wrote:

      > I'd like to invite all of you to the following book talk that's
      co-sponsored by the Slovak American Society of Washington, D.C., the Czech and
      Slovak Heritage Association, and the Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences,
      Washington Chapter (SVUW).

      > Saturday, October 13, 2012

      > BOOK TALK: THE CZECH AND SLOVAK LEGION IN SIBERIA, 1917-1922

      > Talk by Joan Mohr Where: Embassy of the Slovak Republic, 3523
      International Court., N.W., Washington, D.C.When: 2:00pmCost: Free, but an RSVP is
      required, as space is limited. Please RSVP to SASW by the end of
      Wednesday, October 10, either via < dcslovaks@... > or at (571) 265-4436. During
      World War I and the Russian Revolution, a specialized battalion of ethnic
      Czech and Slovak former prisoners of war - the Legion - became a pawn in an
      international game of power and deceit. Fighting with hopes of founding a
      nation, the Legion's heartbreaking detour through Siberia became one of the
      greatest human interest stories of the war, and was chronicled weekly in the
      New York Times and the New York Herald. During their harrowing journey
      through Siberia, the legionnaires grudgingly became protectors of the Russian
      Treasury and of the Trans-Siberian Railroad, while accidentally precipitating
      the murder of the Russian royal family. Stripped of their weapons and
      betrayed by their fo
      rmer allies, over half of the legionnaires lost their lives. For political
      purposes, tales of the Legion's odyssey have been buried or expunged. The
      Czech and Slovak Legion in Siberia, 1917-1922 offers a thorough account of
      a once-hidden yet epic journey, shedding light on a fascinating but
      forgotten facet of World War I.Joan McGuire Mohr is a U.S. historian and writer in
      military history, historical fiction, and biography. As an immigration
      historian, she specializes in Slavic immigration to the United States, with an
      emphasis on Czech and Slovak homeland and host-settlement conditions
      between 1850 and World War I. She consults as a Research Fellow for the
      Institute for Learning, a think tank at the University of Pittsburgh, and for
      museums throughout the United States and the Iparmuveszeti Muzeum (Museum of
      Applied Arts) in Budapest. Dr. Mohr earned her BA at the University of
      Colorado at Boulder, an MA at the University of San Diego, and her PhD at the
      University of Pitts
      burgh She became a professor at the University of Pittsburgh while
      intermittently studying at Charles University in Prague, and at Comenius
      University in Bratislava. She served as contributing historian to the Czech & Slovak
      National Museum & Library, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, organizing, designing, and
      lecturing on an exhibit of rare World War I-era photographs and material
      culture. Books will be available for purchase and signing. Please let us
      know if you might purchase a book.