34039Moravsko Slovacko

  • William C. Wormuth
    Sep 28, 2012
      I have A cousin living in Strani-Kvetna,North west of Nove Mesto Nad Vahom.  Although there are two names the villages are together as one, the Church being in Strani and the famous Glass Works, (formerly part of Bohemian Glass),  called Moravian Glass.

      The Towns are the most Folklorist I have ever witnessed.  They have 2 Brass bands , two Cymbalom Bands, (One are young Children),  Men and Women's choruses, Dancers and a theater group.

      I recently received a call from my cousin and she brought back many memories from there including, weddings, and Hody, both of which I attended regularly during my visits to Slovakia.

      She advised me that there are many films on YouTube, from the village and I watched many in the last few days.  I just finished one which I attach, (address), for your enjoyment.:

       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0USl_k87vg&feature=related

      Moravian Slovaks have managed to preserve their folklore History and many Towns have regular Celebrations, dressing in their local Kroje.  Many still paint Folk designs On the outside of Homes and Wine Celler buildings.

      Petrov:

      http://marketplace.veer.com/stock-photo/wine-cellar-Petrov-Plze-Czech-4634254

      Dolni Bojanovice:

      http://www.podluzi.cz/turistika/en/touristic-guide

      Young people in these towns remain interested is their folklore and I hope many places in Slovakia will promote the same.  I would appreciate hearing from members here if they are familiar with Slovak towns who are preserving these customs.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo