33853Re: How to get there? Your opinions please. PS

  • Ron
    Sep 1, 2012
      Peter,

      At the Prague terminal you can catch a taxi or bus into town, and you would want to go to either the Florenc bus station or the main train terminal. At the bus station they have two long distant bus service companies, EuroLines and Student Agency. Don't be fooled by the word "student", it is just a name. (Also študeny = student; studený = cold).
      airport transportation
      http://www.lonelyplanet.com/czech-republic/prague/transport/getting-there-around
      long distant bus lines
      https://www.elines.cz/en/eurolines-prague
      http://czech-transport.com/index.php?id=2103
      has a link for prague to Budapest direct, if you wish to avoid the family roadblock in B'lava and come back in your car later.

      Long distant bus lines have been around a long time. My cousins commuted from Slovakia to Prague for decades, often on the busses for time, cost and rest on the long trip. I took my first try at it last spring from Prague to Frankfurt and found it quite easy and comfortable. They stop every two hours for a rest break and / or eating. Local currency is a must, I would guess. I had lunch and a few bottles of drink along. You might have a a day bag with you and main luggage will be under the bus. A train is nice, but you keep an eye on your own luggage and sleeping is not as comfortable unless you book a sleeping wagon, they they stick you on a long, time consuming route to give you time to sleep (I am a regular on the Excelsior from Poprad to Cheb going from one Aunt to the other.)

      Money exchange can be a separate topic.