33704Re: Passports Stamping in Germany

  • votrubam
    Aug 10, 2012
      > I do, however, find it amusing that Spanish is no longer
      > considered a European language!

      Words can often appear amusing with cursory reading. The comment spoke of "loud _speakers_," not of the historical origin of their languages. Most native speakers of Spanish in the U.S. were not born in Europe, just like -- as Ron already pointed out -- most native speakers of English in the U.S. were not.

      > the loudness of Americans on the cell phone versus the
      > quietness of Slovaks on a cell

      An interesting observation, Ben. Without having considered it before, it indeed seems to be the case -- as if most Slovak callers were making quite sure that those around don't know what they're talking about, while you mostly know exactly what your neighbors are saying when the plane lands in the U.S.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic