33700Passports Stamping in Germany

  • Ron
    Aug 10, 2012
      With Spanish so common in the Americas it is hard to think of it as European, almost like American English has overwhelmed the original Island version.

      In 1988 I was working in Germany and we tried to chase down some German border guards to get a souvenir stamp in my visitor's passports. When we finally cornered a guard on the German-Danish border he chased us away, telling us not to bother him. We then had a good laugh with the friendly Danish guards. In 1997 when I was returning to the US when my contract expired, the fresh border guard at the airport demanded to know why I had no entry stamp in my passport... and I had to tell her that I could not explain why her government chose not to stamp the passport. She let me go.

      Other than that my handling at EU borders has always been professional. Oh, shortly after the Czech-Slovak split I was heading from SK into CZ and the guard took my passport and directed me to a far corner to park and wait. As it was lunch time I started to deck out the hood of my car so I could picnic. It seemed that when the saw I was comfortably waiting they rushed out, handed my passport over, and chased me out.

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Karen Kosky <trixielixir@...> wrote:

      > Just referring to the most common languages I hear. I do, however, find it amusing that Spanish is no longer considered a European language! In my travels, I've found Italians to be the loudest (and the line jumpers!) although I did have a terribly disturbing encounter with a customs guy in Dusseldorf. My Austrian stamp was so light he didn't see it and proceeded to scream his head off at me as to how I got there. I really thought I was going to be dragged off to a German prison. Can't say I have any desire to visit Dusseldorf!

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic