33695Re: Cell Phones in Slovakia

  • Ron
    Aug 9, 2012
      Thanks for a really different perspective, Karen. On the positive side it is nice to live in a country where people are comfortable speaking their mother tongue. I do not know how many American Indians I have shocked with stories of how my mother was punished in school for speaking Slovak - just like the Indians when their languages were forbidden!

      Ben, I wasn't serious about the technical inferiority of the US phone system, though that was quite true up until I returned to the US in 1997. Then we were always behind in technology and service, and even today I believe their cell service is cheaper than ours, including in Germany, where they have good incomes. The EU just ad companies lower rates for "international" calls within the EU. Oh, on costs, my Czech cousins tell me they go to Germany periodically to shop, since some German prices are lower than Czech prices!

      Ron