33687Re: [Slovak-World] Re: modern funeral practices in Slovakia?/Karen/Vilo

    Aug 7 4:11 PM
      Thanks for the tales, Jo Ann & Vilko!  Fascinating.

      ________________________________
      From: boggiegrey <boggiegrey@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, August 6, 2012 6:08 PM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: modern funeral practices in Slovakia?/Karen/Vilo

      Vilo, my dad's name was Anthony Cyril and his mother's first name was Justina. His father's name was Joseph. My father had a sister named Mary and another sister named Agnes and two brothers named Joseph and Steven and a younger sister named Anna who died when she was seven years old. They came from Slovakia and lived in the Mt. Pleasant area of Schenectady for many years. My dad worked in GE for 40-plus years before retiring and was in the army during the war. He was 61 when he passed away.

      I remember Johnny Lasak, the funeral director, as a very nice man. He is buried nor far from my parents graves in Sts. Cyril & Method Cemetary. I know in early times people cut their deceased's hair and made them into picture frames or other objects to remember them by. I can still remember who I was sitting by and what I was wearing when my grandmother died and we were at the funeral home. She was a member of the Third Order of St. Francis, I think it was called, and had a brown robe on, looked like a monk's robe. I probably was about ten at the time.

      Any information you could come across about my family I would be interested in learning. Thanks. Jo Ann Ralbovsky