33620Re: German Mahren

  • votrubam
    Jul 5, 2012
      > What struck me about the name Marchevka is that,
      > in the Zemplin dialect (one of the eastern ones, as
      > is the Spis~ dialect), it means 'carrot'.

      That's what it is in Polish, too (marchew/marchewka). Both marchevka and mrkva, as well as the (north and east) German Mo"hre (earlier also Morke/Mokra), are linked to an old word for "root." The word used in the sense of "carrot" probably went from Germanic to Slavic (the -v- was added in Slavic declensions and eventually migrated to the nominative).