33619RE: [Slovak-World] German Mahren

    Jul 5, 2012
      What struck me about the name Marchevka is that, in the Zemplin dialect (one of the eastern ones, as is the Spis~ dialect), it means 'carrot'.

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: senzus@...
      Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 18:31:18 -0700
      Subject: [Slovak-World] German Mahren

      Background for this topic:

      SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

      Wednesday, July 4, 2012 6:47 PMVilo, I changed the topic to 'German Mahren' in case you didn't see it.
      It's questionable if name etymology is off-topic. But if you do move it to
      SW then let me know.

      Peter M.

      On 5 July 2012 08:39, William C. Wormuth <senzus@...> wrote:

      Ron,

      I would like to further argue but on Slovak World because itt is rather

      off Roots.

      Awe c'mon!, it's fun an' intrestin'. Besides, Martin might get in to it..

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      From: senzus@...
      Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 15:33:42 -0700

      Helen,

      Thanks, I forwarded all messages and I gave them your name and email. address. The message is very long but if you want a copy, I will send.Helen thanks again for your input.

      S Panem Bohem,

      Vilo

      ________________________________

      From: senzus@...

      Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:32:21 -0700

      Barbara,

      It is sad and the same thing is occurring in Slovakia. In "My Town", Kúty, Zahorie, Western Slovakia

      In January, I received emails from two men, Richard Drs~ka Drrrsh-kah] and Filip Hus~t'ava [Huhshtya-vah], requesting Photos of original kroje and other historical info from our immegrants here in Johnstown, NY. Their intention is to preserve them, locally in a yet to be built museum. Richard is employed in the Zahorie muzeum in Skalica [Skahlee-tsah]. They are working with people from
      Moravia who are expert in Kroje making and preservation.

      On Thursday, I was reading news from our kuty.sk site and saw that Filip has scheduled a gathering of youth, to teach our traditional Polka and Waltz waltz. He wants them to be prepared for dancing during our Hody [Hoh-dee] the yearly celebration of the consecration of our church, (ST. Josephs), held on the weekend closest to the feast of Our Lady of Snows, (Panenka Maria Sniez~u) (August 5th).

      I hope that this preservation work will occur in communities all over Slovakia, preserving our beautiful cultural heritage.

      Barbara, you are to be commended for your contributions and I would suggest you let the kids know how hurt your feelings are.

      S Panem Bohom,

      Vilo