      From: Matchett <wmatchett@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 2, 2012 12:19 AM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] SLOVAK HERITAGE

      Barbara,  I think you should write down all you know of your Slovak parents/grandparents, where they came from, and any stories that have been passed on to you.  Include recipes of Slovak food, and any photos or documents of your Slovak ancestors.  Your children might not be interested right now, but I'll bet at least one of them will wish they had, after your gone.  I don't know how old you are, but I'm starting to feel my age and I occasionally write some stories of my own, growing up with Slovak parents.

      I started "interviewing" my mother a year before she passed away and have many stories of her childhood until she came to America at age 19.  They are going into a small book that I'll have printed and spiral bound.  I wish I'd done that when my father was alive.  Julia Matchett

      On Jun 30, 2012, at 5:48 PM, Barbara wrote:

      > All my ancestors are from Slovakia,I am second and third generation american. I have 4 sisters we do live far apart. I have 6 grown children. We grew up with Christmas and Easter Slovak traditions and food alike through out the year. I have raised my children with the traditions and the food in which I still make today. I have never been to Slovakia finances set me back from going.But I love to draw and have drawn many a scenery from pictures of Slovakia. I also listen to Slovak folk music and do much embroidery.I even made an heirloom wallhanging of the villages and pictures of the ancestors. My next attempt is to try Pysanky eggs. I have taught my daughters to cook,sew,other various crafts, housekeep,garden. I do have many documents of my ancestors including a 1857 book in the Czech language "Life of Jesus Christ" that my great grandfather brought here. What bothers me is that none of my children are interested in our heritage as well as my sisters.
      And I live here in rural Kentucky so not too many people care either.Can anyone give me some suggestions. I love my heritage and I think it is important it has such a beautiful culture and I am afraid that it is dying out in this family.