33594Re: modern funeral practices in Slovakia?

  • Peter M
    Jul 1, 2012
      I've read all of this with interest.
      My mother just came back from Slovakia a few days ago. Although she didn't ruffle any feathers, she kept to her adopted culture (Australian) and the Slovak family was respectful of that.
      I think that if you explain about funeral customs (or ask someone beforehand) you won't feel embarrassed. Slovaks are cultured people and they understand things like this.

      Peter M.

      > > I've never heard of presents given.
      >
      > Which underscores Ben's caution about assumptions of "national" customs (funeral or otherwise).
      >
      > Let me mention a gift of a box of pricey citrus fruits to a Slovak by an American on the occasion of the Slovak's father's death that I'm familiar with. The American was then described as "an idiot" by the Slovak not familiar with the U.S. (perhaps limited) custom. And a query I fielded from a highly placed American executive of a U.S.--international company with a significant exposure in Slovakia (paraphrasing): "A dear Slovak friend's mother has just passed away. The [female] friend will drop by for a visit next week, what would be an appropriate present to give her on this occasion?" The following discussion confirmed that the American did intend to give her a present on the occasion of and because of her mother's death, not just a "friendship" present that the executive hoped would merely happen to work under the circumstances.
      >

      > Martin

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic