33526Re: [Slovak-World] Translation of Latin Word mendicus

  • Julie Michutka
    Jun 8, 2012
      I've seen one death entry in my grandparents' village (1800s) for an unnamed person, "mendicus ignotus," unknown beggar. I assume he was a wandering beggar, since he was unknown.

      I've also seen a number of deaths due to famine, during a particularly difficult time--and wondered how that happened. Were those who died out in a hamlet and no one knew of their desperate need? Were the snows too deep for anyone to get to them? Or.... what?

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      On Jun 8, 2012, at 1:34 AM, William C. Wormuth wrote:

      > On Slovak-Roots, there was a request for translation of the Latin word mendicus, found in church records. It translates in dictionaries as beggar but I found in the Google translator it is alsopauper.
      >
      > Thebeggarterm, gave the wrong picture of our people during those hard times, making people believe that they did not help each other. especially in small villages and towns where everyone knew each other. The only time I heard the story of beggars, it was about Romi, who often begged for food.
      >
      > I was wondering if anyone here has heard stories about beggars>
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic