      From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of William C. Wormuth
      Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 1:35 AM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Translation of Latin Word mendicus

      On Slovak-Roots, there was a request for translation of the Latin word
      mendicus, found in church records. It translates in dictionaries as beggar
      but I found in the Google translator it is alsopauper.

      Thebeggarterm, gave the wrong picture of our people during those hard times,
      making people believe that they did not help each other. especially in small
      villages and towns where everyone knew each other. The only time I heard
      the story of beggars, it was about Romi, who often begged for food.

      I was wondering if anyone here has heard stories about beggars>

      Z Bohom,

      Vilos