33523Translation of Latin Word mendicus

  • William C. Wormuth
    Jun 7, 2012
      On Slovak-Roots, there was a request for translation of the Latin word mendicus, found in church records.  It translates in dictionaries as beggar but I found in the Google translator it is alsopauper.

      Thebeggarterm, gave the wrong picture of our people during those hard times, making people believe that they did not help each other. especially in small villages and towns where everyone knew each other.  The only time I heard the story of beggars, it was about Romi, who often begged for food.

      I was wondering if anyone here has heard stories  about beggars>

      Z Bohom,

      Vilos