      From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
      To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 3:58 PM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Easter Monday - downpours forecast

      My cousin in Slovakia got doused!

      ________________________________
      From: Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 2:30 PM

      I follow a Facebook page about the Buckeye Road neighborhood in Cleveland, from
      the Hungarian perspective, and the Hungarian members were recollecting the
      sprinkling tradition as a Hungarian tradition.  We didn't have that tradition in
      the Slovak part of the neighborhood, at least not in my family.

      ________________________________
      From: lkocik@...<mailto:lkocik%40comcast.net>
      Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:22:47 +0000

      I don't know the source,maybe "E news, but on Comcast's home page last night,was
      a clip of Anderson Cooper reporting on a practice in Poland called phonetically;
      "Dingus" or maybe "dinkus" ??

      It is a tradition of young males douseing young woman with water and the girls
      retailliating using whips of braided willow branches.

      The clip was posted, not for the tradition, but because the usually stoic
      Anderson Cooper, had to actually walk off the set while it was still live
      because he broke out it a fit of uncontrollable laughter while reporting on the
      story.

      The tradition seems to go with this thread on the "dousings" in Slovakia. I
      thought the clip was more interesting because of Anderson Cooper's reaction. He
      could have been re-acting more to the word that sounded like "dinkus", but I
      would hope we, as Americans, have not become so "cultured" that we can't respect
      the traditions of the old world.

      l.k.