32641Re: [Slovak-World] Where Can I Buy Oplatky in the U.S.?

  • helene cincebeaux
    Dec 17, 2011
      There are 2 kinds of oplatky - the Slovak spa wafers that Lubos mentions and they are delicious, made with many fillings from nut to chocolate and are a wonderful gift to bring home from a visit there. In Piestany where they make them you can sample many of the varieties.

      The other oplatky are used on Christmas Eve - they are like holy communion wafers but are made the size of a page in a small book and have Christmas scenes impressed on them. Usually they are white but sometimes a pink one appears - we always wanted a part of that one.

      In my family my grandfather began Christmas Eve dinner with the Our Father but not in English which always fascinated me - then the oplatky were slathered with honey and passed first to the youngest and then up the line. It was such a special time with 3 and then 4 generations around the table.

      Today we are  scattered to the corners of the US and mail them - just not the same.

      Oplatky can be obtained from the nuns at  St Cyril's in Danville PA and also there is an address in Lewistown NY. The Slovak group in Cudahy Wisconsin gathers to make oplatky with antique wafer irons and sells them in a fund-raising effort.

      In the old country the oplatky irons are heavy cast iron and make a round wafter - 7 or 8 inches across. There are long handles so it can be made over a hot fire. And there are raised religious designs on the irons that are pressed in.

      if someone wants more info on the contact places to buy oplatky e mail me directly
      helene
      helenezx@...