32307Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Frantisek Palacky

  • Ben Sorensen
    Oct 11, 2011
      Hmm. Ok.
      I did not know that we are informal.  How presumptuous.

      Evanjelici are Lutherans, although from your answers to Martin and to me, I expect some type of antisemitic rationalization.

      I was thinking of North America, and not just the USA.  I am not so provincial.

      _takzvani Slovaci, ktori prisli do US boli z vidieckeho, zidovskeho, a nevzdelaneho prostredia_

      Ok, so where are YOU from? My wife has a doctorate, from Nitra, and lives in the USA.  None of us are Jews or uneducated.  I did, however, grow up on a farm, and my wife in a village.  MOST of Slovakia is still-ahem- "vidiek," and that is part of its "caro." Perhaps the wisdom of your forefathers was lost on you... I honor the fields and the universities; and good people are good people, be they from Spis, Saris, Bratislava, or even, gasp, Jewish!  Nemate meno, you have some real issues that you may need to examine.  Your hatred for Americans, your thinking that all Americans with Slovak roots being parochial, and your utter disrespect in your "answers" (I can also point to some writings on Slovak Roots) proves that you must find yourself to be a small, insignificant person and the anonymity offered by this list helps you inflate that undersized self-worth of yours.  I am not going to even begin on the obvious antisemitic sentiments inherent
      here.

      You can inflate your own ego at redtube.com or somewhere else.  Please leave this group for people who want to have productive conversations.  Or actually join into them.  How novel.

      I am certainly no Galileo, and my comment was perfectly in line.  But your comments insult average intelligence everywhere.  And still no "podpis." Uz chapem preco "Nemate meno."  Oh, and please learn to use punctuation.

      Ben

      ________________________________
      From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
      To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 11:43 AM

      Ok, so his passages about Hus and his followers were certainly not written by a Catholic; his writings have been considered "uncatholic," and Palacky's family were overwhelmingly Lutherans.  But, since you want him to be a Catholic Slovak so badly, then I guess I will concede, just like Galileo conceded his point: obviously the facts point elsewhere, but I will agree with you.  Palacky still wrote his history in Czech, was born to a Moravian Lutheran family, and died in Prague.

      I write in Slovak and English, am Orthodox, and have a Danish and Scottish family, but for you I will be a Zoroastrian Turk. Or a Baptist Croat.  Or is this just another faulty American analogy?  I am glad that I know enough laudable Slovaks that I do not have to draw the conclusions that all Slovaks in the American diaspora are parochial in their understanding of culture and history, and just outright mean, grumpy, and irrationally condescending,  though we often see examples of THESE particular qualities on this list (you get three guesses from whom).

      I believe I will lend credence to the man who has single-handedly kept Pitt at the top of the list in Slavic language departments, is widely published in academia, and has dedicated his life to the pursuit of understanding, teaching, and disseminating facts about Slovak culture, economy, and language as well as immigration, the Slovak diaspora in North America, and dialects extant there over someone who has yet to identify himself/herself.

      Ben

      ________________________________

      From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>

      To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 3:48 AM

      Probably true that the Magyars did not name him "Frantisek," but finding the Gymnazium Frantiska Palackeho does not make him any more Slovak than finding "Aviende Presidente Masaryk" make Tomas Masaryk a Mexican.

      My thanks to Martin for the leads, and the book on Google.  I am making great headway into this semester; but I am ready for a break, methinks. :-)  Oh, what I would not give for a better Czech and Slovak library nearby!

      Ben

      From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>

      To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Monday, October 10, 2011, 2:24 PM

      Thank you very much, Martin!

      I am startled by how little is available on Charles IV.  I have his autobiography, and another work on his travels to France (in Czech), but aside from some encyclopedic entries and a disparaging blurb by Edward Gibbon, there really is not much on this guy that I am finding.  Even JSTOR is about dry... So much for the author of the Golden Bull and the "Father of the Czech Lands!" Karelstein is a nice castle, and there are some nice statues of him.  St. Vitus Cathedral is also a good memorial to that man, but somewhere you would think that SOMETHING more would be written about him!

      Ben