      From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
      To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 11:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Frantisek Palacky

      Probably true that the Magyars did not name him "Frantisek," but finding the Gymnazium Frantiska Palackeho does not make him any more Slovak than finding "Aviende Presidente Masaryk" make Tomas Masaryk a Mexican.

      My thanks to Martin for the leads, and the book on Google.  I am making great headway into this semester; but I am ready for a break, methinks. :-)  Oh, what I would not give for a better Czech and Slovak library nearby!
      Ben

      From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
      To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, October 10, 2011, 2:24 PM

      Thank you very much, Martin!

      I am startled by how little is available on Charles IV.  I have his autobiography, and another work on his travels to France (in Czech), but aside from some encyclopedic entries and a disparaging blurb by Edward Gibbon, there really is not much on this guy that I am finding.  Even JSTOR is about dry... So much for the author of the Golden Bull and the "Father of the Czech Lands!" Karelstein is a nice castle, and there are some nice statues of him.  St. Vitus Cathedral is also a good memorial to that man, but somewhere you would think that SOMETHING more would be written about him!

      Ben