      From: votrubam <votrubam@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, October 9, 2011 3:17 AM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Best countries for business

      > I wonder if Slovakia will always be considered the little
      > brother.  In the first sentence of the summary on Slovakia,
      > the Czech Republic is mentioned

      The Slovaks make a heavy contribution to that.  They are equally obsessed with comparing themselves to the Czechs and no one else around.  Slovak reports on this ranking, too, only mentioned where the Czech R. stood.  Slovakia's doing pretty well by comparison to its post-communist neighbors, e.g., see this map:

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/regionalwealthcentraleurope.html>

      But to no avail.  Comparing themselves to the Czech R., the Slovaks' partner in a single body politic for merely 70 years, seems so much more important to the Slovaks than comparing themselves to, e.g., Hungary or Croatia, their partners in the same kingdom for 800+ years.  It feeds the Slovaks' habit of whining about their lots.