      From: "JohnS" <john@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:37:56 AM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Easter ?Cheese?

      We always called it syrek: syr being Slovak for cheese. I will need to check with my sister for my mother's recipe but here is one from the FCSLA cookbook.

      Pour one quart of milk into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Beat 15 eggs slightly and add gradually to the milk. Cook over low heat for about seven minutes. Add some pepper and sauce (elsewhere is says a "pinch"). Stir constantly so mixture does not scorch. Pout mixture into linen towel, squeeze and tie tightly. Hang and let drain for two hours. Cover with wet napkin and place in refrigerator.

      I recall my Mother using cheesecloth but she's been gone since 1981 and I haven't seen this made since before then. So it could have been a towel.

      Elsewhere in the cookbook it's spelled sirok and cirak. Syrek came from slovakcooking.com and I think that's closer to correct given the root of the word. It also had the alternate name of hrudko which I have never heard before.

      Personally, as a child I did not like syrek at all. It's been 40 years since I've had it and tastes may have changed. However, I'm not in a hurry to make it and try it. It may be the only Slovak food I don't like. But, since it was Easter and it was blessed, I was obligated to eat it. Maybe that's the reason for it's still current lack of appeal.

      That said; dobru chut!