      From: helene cincebeaux
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2011 10:54 PM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] House numbers

      Often the numbers have been changed over the years, sometimes more than once.
      But the older people remember.
      Usually the mayor's office has records.

      I think the different color indicates something a bit different - the blue or
      black is the house number; the red is the fire number (to aid in finding a house
      quickly) BECAUSE

      when people moved they took their house number along and so sometimes there is
      no rhyme or reason to the house numbers - #2 could be next to 371. Once i spent
      hours in a fairly small village looking for a surname and a house number -
      everyone kept asking me the person's nick name which i didn't know.

      This reflects my experiences in a lot of Slovak villages.

      helene