31377Re: [Slovak-World] Traditional Architecture

  • William C. Wormuth
    Mar 30 3:18 PM
      Ahol C~ak,

      I would surly recommend both, although it has been several years since my visit
      to the shrine I am sure changes have not been made. the area of Spis~is full of
      historical edifaces both roman Catholic and Evangelical. Like Bardejov,
      observing those places knowing that they go back to the 13th and 14th centuries
      is truly amazing.

      Most Americans think of ancient as the 1700's when our country was formed and
      antiques from the 1800's old and expensive. That thinking is what makes seeing
      such old edifices and items so amazing

      Trenc~in is also interesting and amazing, although climbing the stairs for
      people who are older and suffering from knee and/or back problems would be
      limited to the lower rooms.

      I have friends in both places. I also reccomend visiting the Spis~ Castle a
      beautiful historical ediface.

      I sound like a tourist or Tour Director. I have visited Slovakia 28 times and
      although I am not particularly interested in Castles, my family and friends have
      made sure I visit them. I am a "people Person" and would rather spend time in
      historic wine cellars, enjoying the music and conversation.

      There is so very much to see and do, all over Slovakia and Southern Moravia. I
      am sure that visitors will be tempted to return to see places they have missed.

      Epistle of Sväty Vilo

      Forever and ever. Amen!

      ________________________________
      From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 3:55 PM

      Chuck,

      Thanks for the info. I tookmy 9 yr. old nephew for a visit to Hervatov, in

      1997. Other Super places to visit are the Ikon Muzeum, (Bardejov City) and

      Muzeum in Bardejovske Spa, where there is a Wooden Church.

      From: Ron <amiak27@...>

      Subject: [Slovak-World] Traditional Architecture

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 5:56 PM

      The popularity of food, music, costumes and dance obscure another topic,

      traditional architecture. Here is a download that may be of interest to a few

      of you who are interested in how things were built.

      http://www.icomos.org/iiwc/publications/hiddenchurches.pdf

      RESCUIING

      THE HIIDDEN EUROPEAN

      WOODEN CHURCHES HERIITTAGE

      an International Methodology for Implementing a Database

      for Restoration Projects

      Gennaro Tampone and Michela Semplici Scientific Editors