30815Re: Learning Slovak with Byki

  • genmom4
    Jan 12, 2011
      After trying the free program, I purchased the language CD from Byki.
      What I liked about this was that I could actually make up lists of what I wanted to learn, since I was attempting to learn enough Slovak, in a short time, to help me out while on a trip to Slovakia.
      So, the word lists that I found the most important to travel could be tweaked so that I could concentrate on learning what I felt would be the most helpful.
      I was amazed by how many words actually stuck in my head. But that was certainly for short term learning.
      I must admit, though, that some of the word groupings were incorrect. I learned "glass of beer" but the translation for "glass of wine" was actually bottle of wine. That's when I realized that one is under the mercy of the program, assuming that the words are correct.
      And, if they are not correct, that could result in some real confusion.
      Even the pocket dictionary that I used had incorrect translations, as I attempted to order chicken using the word in the dictionary and the waiter was extremely confused. When I showed the word to a young Slovak woman who spoke English thoroughly, she laughed, saying that the word actually meant hen, and one would never order a hen for dinner.

      Ron's suggestion of taking the course certainly sounds tempting, and most people would love to spend the summer in Slovakia and Bratislava in order to learn the language. But family commitments, jobs and $$ prevent most from participating in such an experience, so learning at home is the only feasible option.

      So, although the program is far from perfect, I found it Byki useful in learning basics.
      Also, I am one to give Lubos accolades as well, as I used his site to learn some of the language as well.

      I also purchased EuroTalk "Talk Now" beginner's Slovak. It's supposed to be ipod ready, but didn't find that it transferred to an Ipod in a fashion that was actually useful to me.
      But, it was relatively inexpensive. But it had very limited sentence structure.

      Barbara