30461Halloween: dakujem, thank you

  • votrubam
    Nov 3, 2010
      Slovak culture... American culture... Slovak-American culture... hard to know. With increasing frequency, queries to SK-W are phrased as demands rather than with prosim, please, would, could, kindly.

      More often still, and more incongruously, direct answers to queries are not followed by a dakujem, thank you, although demands for answers to more follow-up queries are not uncommon. There are even calls for people to respond to others' demands and puzzled reposts 'how come no one answered my query.'

      Here are excerpts from a Halloween culture query:

      "[...] I had large numbers of unaccompanied children to my door for trick-or-treating. Not one of the unaccompanied children (nor several of those with parents) said thank you in response to my candy. [...] Please advise me about what to do next year."

      ... and from the answer:

      "You could invite one or two over for a treat and slip in a few mild directives: 'I hope you like the cookies. When people say--Thank you--that's how we know it was a good idea to offer them.' [...] No doubt this is more than you bargained for. [...] So you might want to look at the movie schedule next October." -- The answer provided by Miss Manners.

      Perhaps it's infantile year-round Halloween for some hic et nunc. Slovak culture... American culture... Slovak-American culture... hard to know.

      Martin