30433Re: [Slovak-World] All Souls Day in Slovakia

  • j_coulter77@yahoo.com
    Nov 1, 2010
      I remember being a little kid, putting my shoe outside for Saint Nicholas and getting many lumps of coal. I thought it was a German tradition. My German mother was the one who insisted that I put my shoe out. It wasn't until last year that I learned it was an Eastern European tradition.

      From: Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...>
      Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 20:46:37
      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] All Souls Day in Slovakia

      my guess is that it symbolizes a giftcoming from the devil. In Slovakia, the
      devil is typically pictured placing more coals into the Hell furnace - gotta
      keep the hell hot...
      -- Lubos Brieda --
      Get your free Slovak recipe book at www.slovakcooking.com/brochure

      ________________________________
      From: Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...>
      Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:19:34
      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

      Thanks for the info, Greg! And also Happy Halloween to all. Although Halloween
      is not something that is celebrated in Slovakia. The main Slovak "dress-up" time

      is fašiangy, the time prior the start of Easter lent (think Mardi Gras). There
      is also some dressing up around Christmas, such as the St. Lucia day - when
      girls dressed in white and went house to house "dusting corners" (vymetať kúty)
      - and St. Nicholas Day. For St. Nicholas, boys dressed up as St. Nick (Mikuláš),

      a devil/demon (čert), and an angel (anjel). They would reward good kids with
      candy or fruit and the bad ones with a lump of coal.